French Novels: Not As Bad As French Cooking

0 Conversations

Your Editor doesn't know how to build a better world today. Your Editor can't even build a better Post issue today, having the 'flu and being becalmed in the Internet Archives doldrums.

At first, the intention was to bring you a song about peace. But all the books with 'songs + peace' in the title ended with 'and war'. (Not kidding.) While browsing through collections of campaign songs for forgotten presidential candidates such as Millard Fillmore of no memory at all, I stumbled across a book of campaign songs for Lincoln in 1864. The songs are terrible, though they probably sold well during an election year. But it was the adverts that made this 10-cent volume a treasure trove.

We apologise in advance to our Superfrenchie for the description of French literature in this incredible ad. Emile Souvestre seems to have written a major dystopian novel about life in the year 3000, but this isn't it.

The advert's argument appears to be, 'Hey, take a chance! French novels can't all be as bad as we think!' We think the copywriter was having a really off day.

French Novels: Not As Bad As French Cooking

An advert for a French novel. It costs 10 cents, why not take a chance?
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

01.05.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87888091

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more