Homemade Lemon Curd

2 Conversations

Lemons

Homemade lemon curd, without any scientific additives, is always much tastier than shop bought. Just don't leave it too long -
it can only stay on the shelf for a month (due to the lack of preservatives, of course).

Various recipes are available, including microwave versions, but this recipe uses the hob and doesn't take too long to prepare.

This recipe makes three or four small jars of lemon curd. If that is more than you can eat in a month1, you can always give some to your friends!

Ingredients

Method

Finely grate the rind of the lemons, then extract the juice.

Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then add the butter, sugar, lemon rind and juice.

Place the bowl over a pan of boiling water and stir until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.

Pour the mixture into clean, warm jars and cover the jars when the curd has cooled.

Note that this heats the mixture gently to create the curd without curdling it. Similarly the jars should be warm but not too hot so as not to cook the curd even more once it is ready. The mixture may not reach a piping hot temperature during cooking, so if you have concerns about the safety of uncooked egg products, you may prefer to avoid lemon curd.

Enjoy!

Lemon curd can be enjoyed as it is, in sandwiches or spread on toast for example. Alternatively, it is an ingredient in other recipes, such as Lemon Curd Tarts2, Lemon Meringue Pie or Lemon Tart, and can be used as a filling in pancakes or sponge cakes. You can even use it to make lemon icecream - just whisk two small jars of lemon curd into half a pint of softly whipped double cream and freeze it.

Yummy, yummy says the tummy - slurp!

1As you will see from the ingredients, it is very rich.2As you might have guessed.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87885364

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more