The h2g2 Post 16.01.17

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 16th January 2017

Déjà vu all over again

Snow, snow, snow. Yeah, it's that time of year again. Holidays are over, it's freezing all over the northern hemisphere, it's snowing. It's even been snowing in Athens, for pity's sake. People are cold and tired. The h2g2 Core Team have all either had the flu or a bad cold, and they're vocally miserable about it. Phooey. That Ground Hog had better have good news this year, or I'll personally go over to Punxsutawney and clean his clock. I know where he lives. (In the children's room at the Punxsutawney public library.)

And then there's climate change. If that giant iceberg in Antarctica falls into the ocean, will it inundate Washington, D.C.? (Could we put in a special request?) Could January get any worse? Let's not tempt fate. Stay home all you can, and read the h2g2 Post. We're sure to cheer everybody up. It's our job, and we take it very seriously.

First up, Willem shows you a cheerful bird that looks just like its name. If the Red Bishop doesn't give you a chuckle, we miss our guess. Next comes a kitty from over at the Hoggett Farm. She's gone out of her way to make you laugh here. You'd better appreciate.

A word about the proliferation of felines in the h2g2 Post. First, you were warned: if you don't send us Stuff, we publish Cats. So it's partly your fault. Also, Freewayriding and Your Editor are on a roll. We vie with one another to come up with the most inappropriate uses of the cat meme. Though FWR may have set the record, you'll have to wait until next week to be sure.

Okay, so what else have we got for you to dissipate tedium, ennui, and snow boredom? We've gone all intellectual on you. Awix has a superb film review involving deep philosophical issues. Smudger is back (yay!) with thoughts on the passage of time. FWR takes on the January theme and reminds us that there's more than one way to stop time. That lot should keep your grey cells stimulated.

Then we just go all-out crazy. The humour will hit you from so many directions, you won't be able to stop laughing. The 42 Words crowd are back, too, with their particular brand of clever quippiness. Read. Do not look out the window. Keep reading.

If you do go out, wrap up warmly. Watch where you step and avoid those puddles. Cover your coughs and sneezes, and stay out of the subway. Or the Underground. Or the U-Bahn, Metro, whatever. And stay away from people with colds.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

RARE SIGHTINGS
  • Red Bishop by Willem.
  • A cat that fits in a bowl.

MATTERS OF MOMENT


IN OVER OUR HEADS

  • Moving violation.
  • A yoda buddha.

SNARK FOR SNARK'S SAKE
LET US WRITE ONE ANOTHER OFTEN, SHALL WE?
  • Create January Challenge 2017.
  • The fabled town of Bruges.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87880260

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more