The h2g2 Literary Corner: What Made Teenagers Laugh in 1930

0 Conversations

Sometimes our elders embarrass us. They even do it in print.

What Made Teenagers Laugh in 1930

The Snugger.

The following joke-and-advert page was towards the back of the 1930 Yearbook for Galileo High School, titled the Telescope, get it? We gather the school was somewhere in the vicinity of San Francisco, California, USA. For those not familiar with 'yearbooks', the rest of the volume is full of pictures of the faculty and students of the school, with drawings, cutesiness, and comments by the students of the Yearbook staff. It's an annual keepsake sort of thing, and useful for trips down memory lane and searches for embarrassing photos by historians and celebrity hunters.

Yearbooks give us a glimpse into what average teenagers were wearing back in the day, what they were thinking about, and what their aspirations were. The adverts are revelatory, as well: one local sponsor suggested the 'next big event' in these young peoples' lives might require a wedding ring, which the jeweler sold. Another well-wishing firm invited students (presumably the female ones) to prepare for the future by taking a secretarial course1. We can also tell what they admired: an advert for a kind of knitted jacket called 'The Snugger' touted its military fit and promised the guys they would be 'trim as a West Pointer' (military cadet). The fact that this was a selling point says a lot.

So do these jokes. Read 'em and feel smug. Grandpa and Grandma might have guffawed at these, but we're wondering how they survived on this kiddie humour. Oh, and the first joke? Making a similar one on Youtube got a college student kicked out of a California university a few years back. At least some things have improved, besides the hairstyles.

Yearbook jokes from 1930.
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

19.09.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Note to denizens of the 21st Century: a secretarial course taught typing, shorthand, filing, and other 'office skills', as secretaries did what administrative assistants do now. Only they were usually required to be female, which is illegal now, and to bring the boss coffee, which may or may not be illegal in your state. Secretarial skills have now been rendered obsolete by the Microsoft Corporation, and high school students in the US are taking courses in 'Communications', which include instruction in Word and PowerPoint. Time Segways on.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87877552

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more