The h2g2 Literary Corner: Ben Franklin, Sailor

1 Conversation

Ben Franklin was just so multifaceted, it's hard to stop stealing his copy.

Ben Franklin, Sailor

Part of Franklin's map showing the Gulf Stream.

When Ben Franklin was a kid in Boston, his dad wondered what to do with him. (We know the feeling.) Mr Franklin Senior had 17 kids, so it's hard to blame him for having trouble when he got down to Ben, the last son. At first, Abiah Franklin wanted Ben to become a clergyman. Yeah, right. But school was expensive, and Ben flunked arithmetic, so they thought 'apprentice'. (No, not with Donald Trump.) Ben wanted to go to sea, but Mr Franklin didn't like the idea, so Ben ended up in his big brother's print shop. The rest, as they say, is history.

Ben eventually taught himself maths, and a lot of other things, and as he got older he 'corresponded' with a lot of academic societies. Let's face it, Franklin was THE genius of his day. Sort of Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates, and Dyson the hoover man rolled into one. He still loved the sea, too, and took an interest in shipping. So in 1786, he wrote these 'maritime observations' down. What's cool about this, besides the map that shows where the 'Esquimaux' live, is that it shows the 'Gulph Stream'. And tells you how to get from England to Boston in only 20-30 days. Wow. What a fast-paced world that was.

We wish we had Ben around today. He would have helped solve global warming, we're sure of it. This excerpt is left as a photographic image for you. This time, YOU sort out those long esses…

Franklin's remarks on the Gulf Stream.
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

28.09.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87860488

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more