The h2g2 Post 02.11.05

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 2nd November 2015

Autumnal Musings

The sun through yellow leaves. It's that time of year: frost is actually on the pumpkin, at least in my neck of the woods. On sunny days like today, the afternoons are golden, inviting you to sit on the porch and marvel at the late autumn colours. Yes, there's snow in our future. We'll worry about it another day, as we admire our neighbour's energetic raking – all the deciduous trees are in his yard.

Autumn brings out wit, especially over at the hardware store. George, the senior salesman over there (emphasis on 'senior'), has stand-up potential.

Me: 'Do you have any signs?'

George, suspiciously: 'What kind of signs?'

Me: 'The kind with arrows on them.'

George, helpfully: 'Nope.' He let himself be cajoled into showing us what he had. True, no arrows, but as George sagely pointed out, we could buy one, turn it over, and draw the arrow on. After all, we only wanted it for two and a half hours, to direct our young trick-or-treaters to the side porch on Halloween. (The side door has a bell that actually works.) George suggested I buy the sign that said 'No hunting or fishing on these premises' so that I could flip it over and reuse it. I approved of this repurposing, especially since it will protect the valuable wildlife on our quarter-acre, and prevent hunters from shooting those deer that visit at 3 am. George pretended to be impressed that I could read, whereupon I told him that in North Carolina, where I used to live, you didn't dare tell people you'd forgotten your reading glasses, as they'd assume you were illiterate. George replied, 'Well, if you didn't tell them in that accent of yours…' It's that sort of repartee that keeps you going back to the hardware store – that and the need for a dooflidgey to hold together the thingumbob. I have lived in odd neighbourhoods, one even with a minaret, but this one has its own exotic ambience. That and lawn-tractor drag races.

Autumn teaches us to look around and realise that as the colours change, we see the familiar world differently. Spring or fall, how are things changing around you? What's different this week? Can you snap a photo, send us a vignette, share a story? We'd love it if you did. In this issue, our contributors are doing just that. Awix even has the skinny on that Bond film you're all dying to know about. I suppose I should try to watch it, but frankly, I fell asleep during Skyfall and never went back to it...I'm the wrong person to review that, but Awix is definitely the right person. He even gets the cinematic references.

Oh, and speaking of cinema: November is upon us, and you know that means NaJoPoMo. As is often the case, Your Editor is doing the Freebie Films, and while the reviews aren't nearly up to Awix's standards, you might find some fun stuff, and the price is right. (And yes, some of them are in Romanian, as always. What do you mean, you don't love Romanian New Wave cinema?) Are you writing a daily journal? Share! (It's not too late to get started, and feel free to send your photos and journal entries to the Post.) What journals are you following? Be sure to drop in a comment or two. Enjoy the writing madness this month, and have a good week!
Stop Press Recipe: Check out MVP's solution to an emergency bounty of quinces. (I had to look up what a quince was. Now I want some.)

Follow your mouse finger, see what else you discover in here.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

INTERESTING ANGLES
  • Wahlberg's Epauletted Fruit Bat by Willem.
  • Nigel and alien friend try to ward away asteroid disaster with the help of a Ouija board.

PATHS TO ENLIGHTENMENT

GROUP ACTIVITIES

  • Tag, you're it.
  • Birds drinking from a water fountain.

WARS AND RUMOURS
  • 42 Words
  • We Always Knew Coffee Was The Answer.


KEEP WRITING (OR ELSE!)
  • Create November Challenge: NaJoPoMo.
  • Bus travel.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87859840

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more