The Post Quiz: UK Geography - Answers

1 Conversation

How much did you know about…

UK Geography: Answers

British pigeons

You might be surprised: some of the weirder facts may turn out to be true..

Although if any h2g2er does live in Doggerland, we want photographic evidence.

True or false?

  1. Milton Keynes is listed on the Gough Map. F. (The Gough Map was made in the Middle Ages.)
  2. There are three villages in the UK named Cackle Street. T. (One is near Brightling.)
  3. A hamlet is a village without a church.T. (Is this true in Denmark?)
  4. Devon is the only county in Great Britain to have two coasts. T. (Giving local meaning to the term 'bicoastal'.)
  5. London's population reached the 1 million mark in 1905. F. (Try 1810.)
  6. The Humber Bridge is the world's longest single-span suspension bridge. F. (Not any more, it's fallen to 7th place.)
  7. Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in the UK. T. (But rumours about the discovery of Donald's troosers up there are probably apocryphal.)
  8. Ogof Ffynnon Ddu ia Welsh for 'hiding place of stolen sheep.'F. (It's Welsh for 'cave of the black spring.')
  9. Altnaharra, Scotland, has the coldest temperatures in the UK. T. (It even beat out the South Pole once.)
  10. If you live in the UK, you are no more than 75 miles from the sea. T. (You realise that in the US, that's practically beachfront property?)
  11. Some h2g2ers live in Doggerland. F. (Not unless you can breathe underwater.)

Got 'em all? You're ready to write the guidebook. Oh, wait…we do that…

The United Kingdom
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

13.07.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87856366

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more