Tav Does Art at Home: The Nursery

2 Conversations

Tav shows her artistic skills in the Nursery

As some of you know I got a baby this summer. My little boy is now almost 3 months old and doing very well.

Among other things, getting a baby meant tidying up our spare room and turning it into a nursery. We didn't know if I was expecting a boy or a girl, and we don't like all this blue/pink stuff anyhow, so we decided to keep the colours neutral. We painted the walls in shades of green and yellow. I wanted to give the room as a kind of decoration topic and decided to make it a 'forest' (more or less).

Over the place where the bed was supposed to stand I wanted to have a tree branch. Something to look at when waking up or falling asleep. At first I thought of just buying one of these wall stickers, but after not finding anything I liked for an appropriate price, I just did it myself. As you may know, I do like painting anyway.

nursery 1 by Tav

It all started with a tiny sketch of about the size of a postcard. I transferred the shape of the branch on the wall with pencil. When I was happy with that I took a piece of cardboard and cut out a few leave shapes of different sizes. I used them to draw the leaves on the wall by drawing around them.

Once the preparatory drawing was done I could start painting. For this I had bought a few small bottles of wall paint in two shades of brown and white. Additionally there was some leftover green paint. I used a small paintbrush with stiff hair. First I painted the brown branches with a mixture of the brown paints and white. I left out the parts where the leaves would be.

After the brown paint was dry I could start painting the leaves. For this I mixed the green paint with some white and also a bit of brown to make the colour look more natural. I also used a different shade for each leave so they would not meld into each other. I also gave them some more texture by not mixing the colours completely, which resulted in the brush strokes being visible.

Tavs Nursery 2Nursery 3 by Tav

Once the whole branch was painted I decided that something was still missing. I bought some lovely butterfly wall stickers at IKEA. (They only cost a few Euros and I didn't even use a third of the stickers which were in the package. I wonder what to do with them.)

Nursery 4 by Tav

Then we could move the furniture into the new room. Over the bed we hung a mosquito net which was decorated with some green cloth and artificial birds. Next to it hang two large green paper balls which for me symbolize tree tops – but that may be just my imagination. We also found a forest carpet at IKEA, which we put on the wooden floor. It shows a little river, tree stumps and various animal footprints.

Nursery 5 by Tav

I am very happy with the result of my little painting exercise and will probably try to expand on the forest topic soon. As I am at home now with the baby I can do a bit more arts and crafts stuff than before? I intend to use this time and already have a few new projects in my mind. I just have to get myself to start doing them...

General Features Archive

Tavaron

24.11.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87843649

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more