A Stone of Remembrance

1 Conversation

We sent our roving Post Reporter to Totnes to find the Brutus Stone. This is what she found.

A Stone of Remembrance

Brutus Stone in Totnes.

Had fun with the Brutus Stone piccies!!! I attracted a crowd. I timed it just as the Remembrance Day service was ending, so all the people passed me by, while I was photographing the Stone. They were delighted.

Explanation of the Brutus Stone in Totnes.

I said I was doing a project for a friend in the States. One lady said she'd never noticed the Stone before and she's lived in Totnes for ten years. She thanked my friend in the States.

Brutus Stone in Totnes.

Then suddenly a lovely lady stands on the stone and declares 'Here I stand, here I rest, this place shall be called Totnes'! (which I think comes from the legend??). I wanted to video her, but she went all shy. She's a true Totnesian, born and bred, and was so delighted we were taking an interest in her town, and thanks to the elusive American historian that I told her about.

Celebrating the Brutus Stone in Totnes.

A debate followed, because the Stone has been moved around quite a few times, and the lady and her friend thought it should be on the wall, rather than on the pavement, but then you can't stand on it, and declare 'here I stand, here I rest!'.

The Café Dreams Archive

Cactuscafe

18.11.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87815875

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more