The Children of James I Of England - VI Of Scotland

2 Conversations

Henry, Elizabeth and Charles Stuart

The closing years of the 16th century saw many changes that were to dramatically alter England and indirectly affect the world. It started simply when King James VI of Scotland (soon to be also James I of England) chose to marry Princess Anne of Denmark, the younger daughter of the Protestant King Frederick II. It sounds easy to choose a bride from the European royal houses, but as most were Catholic there was not a wide choice. As the preference was for a Protestant princess, and Anne had been brought up as a Protestant all seemed well. The couple were formally married in Oslo at the Bishop's Palace in November 1589. James was 23 and Anne only 14, born 12 December, 1574 she was one month short of her 15th birthday.

The newly wed couple stayed at Elsinore and Copenhagen for some weeks as guests of Anne's father King Frederick. When it was time to return to Scotland the couple arranged to travel together by sea to Scotland they arrived home on 1st May 1590, Anne and James started their new life together. The marriage seems to have been happy particularly in the early years.

As they stood on the steps of Stirling castle, little did the young royal couple - or the world - know what violent impact their offspring would have, not only on the history of Scotland, but on Europe at large, beginning with neighboring England.

It is this moment would hold the seeds of the foundation of an empire, religious diversity and curiously the birth of communism1.

The Children of James VI and Anne of Denmark

The first of the royal children to arrive was Henry on 19th of February 1594, at Stirling Castle. Henry Frederick Stuart he was named in honour of his grandfathers, Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley and Frederick II of Denmark. From birth he held the titles of The Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland. And in 1603 upon his father's accession to the throne of England Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Earl of Chester.

Then on 19th of August 1596 the first daughter Elizabeth in honor of Queen Elizabeth I, borne in Falkland Palace, Scotland. Elizabeth was initially placed in the care of Lord Livingstone and his wife. To be brought up at Linlithgow Palace, "one of the grandest of Scotland’s royal residences". This practice was common as James and Annes second daughter Margaret was also to be placed in their care. Shortly after her 7th birthday on the 19th October 1603 an order was issued under the privy seal announcing that the King had thought fit to commit the keeping and education of the Lady Elizabeth to the Lord Harrington and his wife.

Margaret Stuart Born 24th December 1598, died March 1600. Lived 2 years 2 months.

Charles Stuart arrived on the I9th November I6OO. He was a sickly child and James and Anne may have despaired of Charles survival. It was decided he should be baptized without delay. The godfathers chosen were Hugonet leader the Prince of Rohan and his brother Soubise, both were nobles from the house of Guise. His paternal grandmother was Mary of Guise wife of James V. His sister Margaret had died in the previous March, so Charles was given the best of care available. But as he was unfortunately neglected by his parents who simply left it to others to bring him up.

Charles was last of the children of James and Anne destined to survive to adulthood. In addition to Margaret the others who were not as fortunate were.

Robert Stuart, Duke of Kintyre, born 18 January 1602, died 27th May 1602.

Mary Stuart, born 8 April 1605, died 16 December 1607.

Sophia Stuart, died in June 1607 within 48 hours of her birth.

Regardless of wealth it was apparent that there was at best only an even chance of surviving childhood and becoming an adult. It is impossible for us to imagine the grief caused by this level of mortality, and the loss of so many children.

Henry

At an appropriate age, James placed prince Henry in the care of John Erskine, the Earl of Mar. The main reason for this appears to be that James worried about Anne, as she had started to developing a growing tendency toward the Catholic faith. James a staunch Protestant could not allow the boys mother to make a Catholic out of Henry. So it was decided that Erskine was to remain his guardian until Henry was aged 9 and James ascended the English throne.

As the older brother Henry did not get on with Charles, it is said every time they were together, Henry teased Charles. This appears to be an understatement as Henry made life unpleasant for Charles. This may have been because the young Charles was an unpleasant child. Described by his nurse as "very evil in nature" and "beyond measure willful and un-thankful" .

Henry it appears was a paragon, an active handsome young man, fit and vigorous, a keen huntsman and sportsman. A man of the world and widely admired throughout the realm. The best contemporary comparison we have to the young Prince Henry is the young King Henry VIII.

As he grew older Henry showed great potential and became active in matters of state. Sir Walter Raleigh saw his potential and became one of his growing circle of friends. As he grew older Henry showed great potential and became active in matters of state. Sir Walter Raleigh saw his potential and became one of his growing circle of friends. Raleigh encouraged Henry in The Virginia Company of London. The company had struggling colony in North America. Prince Henry was instrumental in the assignment of Sir Thomas Dale as deputy governor of the Virginia Colony. Sir Thomas named the township of Henrico in of Prince Henry's honor.

Alas Poor Henry

Fate seems to have dealt the kingdom a cruel blow when at 18 Henry died it was so sudden that some thought it was poisoning. At the time Henry thought it was a bad cold and refused treatment, Henry thought that the best treatment was violent exercise. When he collapsed the doctors did not have a clue and despite their best efforts they could not save him.2

Henry lay instate at St. James's Palace for four weeks, and when he was buried in Westminster Abbey. The procession of mourners numbered over a 1000 and was more than a mile long. It was said of Henry that he was, "the greatest king there never was".

Upon Henry's death Charles as next in line became Prince of Wales and heir to the throne.

Elizabeth

James regarded Lord and Lady Livingstone the best choice for the care of Elizabeth. In 1603 Lord and Lady Harrington took over “the keeping and education of the Lady Elizabeth” after this was set out in an order from the privy seal Elizabeth was moved from Linlithgow Palace to be brought up at Coombe Abbey. The political importance of Elizabeth can be illustrated by the fact that had the Gunpowder Plot succeeded, it was planned to take Elizabeth aged 9, from Coombe Abbey and put on the throne. Lord Harrington also made sure Elizabeth was given an excellent education, not just in the traditional feminine subjects but geography, politics and natural history. Whilst with the Harringtons Elizabeth met Anne Dudley, they formed a friendship that was to last the rest of her life.

As the daughter of a reigning monarch the hand of the young Elizabeth would have been regarded as a very desirable prize. So a list of possible suitors was made, the marriage of Elizabeth gave James the opportunity to create a strong ally in continent as he had done when he had married Anne.

After long deliberation it was decided that Elizabeth should become the wife of Frederick V, Count Palatine of the Rhine.

The list of suitors had also included;
Prince Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden – heir to the throne of Sweden.
Victor Amadeus, Prince of Piedmont - closely related to the Spanish royal family.
Maurice, Prince of Nassau.
Otto, The Hereditary, Prince of Hesse.
Henry Howard, 1st Earl of Northampton.
Theopilus Howard, Lord Howard of Walden.
Frederic Ulric, Duke of Brusnwick-Wolfenbuttel.

Frederick and Elizabeth's Children

Frederick and Elizabeth had 11 children some of which were to have a very prominent role in the history of Europe. They were;

Henry Frederick, Hereditary Prince of the Palatinate.

Charles I Louis, Elector Palatine.

Princess Elizabeth, The Abbess of Herford.

Prince Rupert, The Duke of Cumberland.

Prince Rupert was to become better known as, Prince Rupert of the Rhine. A brave and courageous military Royalist leader of the English Civil War. This courageous leader was accompanied by his poodle, Boye, on the battlefield. People today have the wrong idea of Boye, this was a huge white hunting dog similar in size to Great Dane, he had a shaggy mane that made him resemble a lion. He was as formidable and would attack horses (and bring them down) he was fearless. He was shot at the battle of Marston Moor fighting to the last and deserves to be better remembered. An heroic animal a far cry from some of the small neurotic inbred creatures of today.

Prince Maurice.

Prince Louis. Hollandine of the Palatinate.

Prince Edward, The Count Palatine of Simmern.

Princess Henriette, Marie of the Palatinate.

Prince John Philip Frederick.

Princess Charlotte.

Princess Sophia. Electress of Hanover.

Charles

In the beginning it looked like he was unlikely to survive childhood. After his birth he was to ill to be moved he was left in the care of his doctors at Dunfermline. He must have been weak, as his doctors report as he hadn't the strength to speak for his first three years. In 1604 however his condition improved and he was sent south by litter and deposited with Lady Elizabeth Carey to bring up. James seemed to have remembered Sir Robert Carey and this appears an act of patronage3 and he was appointed as Prince Charles's governor 4. This was a also a stroke of good luck for Charles as Lady Carey seemed a nice kindly lady, and really did provide loving care for the young Charles.

On his fifth year he was taken to court to be made the Duke of York But as he still could hardly talk and prone to fall lot, so he was kept out of the public eye. However luck was with him and by the age of eight he was at his lessons, and he did very well. It was thanks to Lady Carey things had continued to improve that by the age of ten, he was had become a good horseman and could play golf and tennis well.

Charles was 12 when he received the news of Henry's death, and he was now Charles Prince of Wales was now heir to the throne of Great Britain. Charles was not as nearly as popular as Henry, and he had been sheltered all his life. Now the course of his life had completely altered and the sudden entry of Charles into court life was to prove traumatic.

After Henry's death in 1612 people began to take more notice of him. He stammered a trait that he never managed to conquer. His was exceedingly jealous and passionately hated the circle of his fathers young male friends. He barely concealed his feelings and in 1616 he even attacked George Villiers, throwing water from a fountain over him in full view of the court. Charles was not was expected of a potential ruler. He was to manage a profound personal change and over a few years of his coming to the throne in 1625. He became the dignified, kingly figure, the equal of any of other European monarch.

Charles And Oliver A Twist Of Fate

There is an odd story from this time. Oliver Cromwell's family had rich relations, Cromwell's grandfather, Sir Henry Williams, was one of the two wealthiest landowners in Huntingdonshire and Prince Charles was said to have made an unofficial visit to the home of this important man. Owing to the importance of their guest the Cromwell family were also invited to attend, it is possible that young Charles met and played with the young Oliver Cromwell at this gathering.

The Legacy Of Childhood

James had a strong belief in the divine right of kings, His belief in the absolute authority of the monarchy which he passed on to Charles with catastrophic results. When King Charles came to the throne he was acutely aware of the responsibilities. And he was determined to be a strong king. To this end Charles kept control of the administration and government of the kingdom. Having been in isolation in his early years Charles had no skill in managing people this was to cause him to alienate many Church leaders, noblemen and politicians of the day.5 Charles possessed an overconfident and inflexible attitude to government, this disposition was to have unfortunate and far reaching consequences that ultimately resulting in civil war.

Continued - A87856988

1It was in 19th century London that Karl Heinrich Marx studied the writings of the English Levelers and Diggers radical political groups born from the struggles of the English Civil War. Levelers were political theorists and the Diggers activist's, they were to have some influence on his political theories. Marx called the Levelers "a functioning communist party". They wanted to abolish the rule of kings and Parliament and establish what would be called today a communist state.2It has been now been suggested by experts studying the records that it was typhoid fever.3For being the first man to deliver the news of the Queen's death and his succession to James, at his palace of Holyrood.4The gratitude of James and later Charles was indeed generous. In 1611, Robert Carey became master of the robes to Prince Charles, in 1617 Prince Charles Chamberlain. Then on 6 February 1622, he became Baron Carey of Leppington. In 1623 he was an important member of the retinue Charles took with him to the court of Philip IV of Spain. And when Charles became king in 1626, Robert became Earl of Monmouth. In and sat in Parliament as the MP for Grampound. Truly a favourite of the king.5During the years 1637 and 1638 in Scotland his refusal make concessions over the use of an English-style prayer book and its introduction. Was to turn protest into a full rebellion.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87794400

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more