A Conversation for Building a Blazing Hearth Fire

Getting it going

Post 1

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

I have to say that in my years of making fires I've found that if you light the beast at the paper/kindling stage thereby giving the kindling a chance to catch before piling on the bigger wood, the resultant fire is more likely to be a success ... let it burn for a moment or two and then bung on the big chaps.

smiley - ok


Getting it going

Post 2

Lady Scott

Yeah, it probably does work out better - depends a lot on how big your kindling is, of course. I guess my kindling was always so small that it didn't catch the big wood very well - it would burn out too quickly, so the more flames it had, from the paper as well as the kindling, the better chance I had of it actually catching.

I don't have that problem since I started using firestarters (shameless plug for A863840smiley - blush) to start my fires - those little things burn long enough to get the big wood going, unless the big wood is just too wet, in which case it still needs some dry wood/larger kindling in there to get it going.

Thanks for reminding me of what it's like with just newspaper to start my fires!


Getting it going

Post 3

Colonel Codpiece

Possible addendum:

If all else fails - fire up the blowtorch. Works for me.smiley - biggrin


Getting it going

Post 4

Lady Scott

smiley - laugh

You don't know how close that is to how I do things...


The lighters that I normally use to light my firestarters are these long nosed things that are designed for lighting candles and fires. I affectionately call mine a "flame thrower".


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more