The Post Quiz: The US War of Independency

1 Conversation

4 July 1776. . . a day that will live in infamy. . . no, that's not right. See what you can do with this quiz on the US War of Independence, or whatever you call it. If you're British, give yourself double points for each correct answer. After all, you lost that one. . . er, strategically withdrew. . .

The American Revolution US War of Independency, 1776-17813 (or whenever Congress got around to signing the treaty)

A reenactment of an historical military scene

See what you make of these factoids. History is stranger than fiction.

  1. When was the Declaration of Independence signed?
    • 4 July 1776.
    • 2 July 1776.
    • Never. It was too dangerous to sign.
    • Whenever the signers got around to it.
  2. Which statement is true of North American colonists in the 1770s?
    • They were impoverished, overtaxed, and downtrodden.
    • They had the highest standard of living, and paid the least taxes, in the British Empire.
    • They were almost all illiterate, and never wore shoes.
    • They were over-represented in Parliament.
  3. In 1770, there was an incident in Boston in which colonists were fired upon by the military. Who defended the soldiers at their court martial?
    • Benedict Arnold
    • Patrick Henry
    • John Wilkes
    • John Adams
  4. Who had the best spies during the war?
    • The Americans, because Washington was sneaky.
    • The British. Haven't you heard of Agent 007 Tricorn?
    • The French. They were keeping a close eye on things.
    • The Canadians. That's why the invasion of Quebec failed.
  5. Who did most Americans in the field follow?
    • Their own leaders
    • Washington
    • The British
    • Various Indian chiefs
  6. What military innovation first occurred during the US War of Independence?
    • Aerial bombardment
    • Submarine attack
    • Poison gas warfare
    • Psychological warfare
  7. Which US general was considered the best, almost succeeding in conquering Canada?
    • George Washington
    • Francis Marion
    • 'Mad Anthony' Wayne
    • Benedict Arnold
  8. Where was the Battle of Bunker Hill fought?
    • Bunker Hill, duh.
    • Breed's Hill.
    • In Camden, New Jersey.
    • Outside Fort Pitt.
  9. The final battle of the War of Independence was fought at Yorktown. Who had the most troops present?
    • The British
    • The Americans
    • The French
    • The Lenape Indians
  10. Where was the treaty signed that ended the War of Independence?
    • London
    • Philadelphia
    • Amsterdam
    • Paris

How historically savvy are you? Click on the picture below for the answers.

Black powder gunners in action.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

02.07.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87763198

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more