The Prof's Magical Mystery Quiz: Answers

1 Conversation

Okay. If you've made it this far, give yourself 10 points for stamina. Here's the rest of the nonsense brilliant reasoning from the Sage of Yorkshire. The answers are by me, unless otherwise noted. – DG

Prof Animal Chaos' Magical Mystery Quiz: Answers, of a Sort

The lightbulb joke in its many forms

Q1. What is the John F. Kennedy? (Clue = aircraft conveying.)

An aircraft carrier? I think it's nice the Brits named one after him. We've got bridges, roads, and a centre, too.

Q2. Mary had a little lamb, is:–

An unproven hypothesis. How small was this lamb? Didn't it grow? What about the suspicious behaviour of the neighbour with the mint sauce?

Q3. How many make a DOZEN?

1000(thousand), 12(twelve), 1,000,000(million)....calculators allowed

Er, 13? My best friends are generous bakers.

Q4. If a red house is made from red bricks and a blue house is made from blue bricks and a pink house is made from pink bricks and a black house is made from black bricks, what is a greenhouse made from?

Best guess: carbon dioxide. Ever heard of greenhouse gases?

Q5. How far can a dog run into a forest?

Depends on what's chasing him. Or what he's chasing.

Q6. An assistant who works in a butcher's shop is 5'10" tall. What does he weigh?

More information needed. Does he get free samples? Oh, wait. I guess he weighs meat, huh? (Duh.)

Q7. Are the dates on a calendar edible?

Not usually. Although if the calendar is fruity enough. . .

Q8. Is it a country?

(Smirks) Kuwait. (The Prof.)

Q9. Which number comes next in the sequence?

Zweiundvierzig? I'm hopeless at math.

The big red fire engine!

Q10. Name three fruits that begin with the letter 'T'.

The 3rd is a Tin of pears! There’s only tomato and tangerine as fruits that start with 'T'. (The Prof. Me, I am amazed. I didn't know this.)

Q11. As night falls, does it...

Yes. That's where falling stars come from.

Q12. There are 4 days of the week that begin with the letter 'T'. Name them.

Tuesday/Thursday/Today and Tomorrow. (The Prof. I am speechless.)

Q13. A commercial aeroplane full of tourists crashes right on the border between America and Canada, in which country do they bury the survivors?

You don't bury survivors. As my sainted mother used to say, 'That one had whiskers when you heard it.'

Q14. Spell your name (3 attempts only).

Rumpelstiltskin. Seriously (?), I thought the hard questions were supposed to come first.

Q15. Typhoon – Wind – Cyclone – Hurricane (which is the odd one out?)

Wind . It’s the only one caused by baked beans. (The Prof. Er, you guessed that, didn't you?)

Q16. Which of the following countries has a 4th July, Britain or America?

Both countries have a 4th July. We're just smug about it in the US.

Q17. If it takes one man four hours to dig a hole, how long will it take for two men to dig half a hole?

You can’t dig HALF a hole. (Gee, Prof, I wouldn't have guessed. I've been trying to do that all my life.)

Q18. Write down the numbers one to ten in corresponding order of magnitude (calculators and fingers not allowed).

Can we use toes? Seriously, those of us with prehensile toes1 might have an advantage here.

Q19. How can you measure how heavy a blue whale is?

Take it to a whale weigh station (railway station )2.

Q20. Does Christmas Day and New Year’s Day fall in the same year?

Sure. New Year's Day, 1 January, Christmas Day, 25 December. Just 12 months apart. (Can't fool me, ha ha.)

Q21. What day of the week does Saturday fall on?

Er, Saturday? Of course, my Sabbaths tend not to fall very far from the work tree.

Q22. When daybreaks, can you name the suspects?

Winken, Blinken, and Nod. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Q23. If you have six items in one hand and half a dozen items in the other hand, what is the total number you have as a whole (abacuses are allowed).

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. (Editor in smug mode.)

Q24. In a 15-storey block of apartments, where is the ground floor situated?

On the ground floor? Now, if you were in the US, you wouldn't be able to find it. That's because we are superstitious. We call the ground floor the 'first floor' because we have bathophobia, or fear of falling.

Q25. Which came first – Q23 – Q1 – Q46 – Q ball – Q who?

If you're a Trekkie, none of the above. It's just Q, the all-knowing. Of course, there was that Q-2 guy, who seemed nice. Somehow, we suspect the Prof should never be allowed into the Q Continuum. The universe would fall indecorously apart within 30 minutes.

Man in a hat that's got the word 'mad' emblazoned on it.
The Prof Archive

Prof Animal Chaos

Dmitri Gheorgheni

19.03.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Yes, I realise that this constitutes Too Much Information. Sorry.2The Prof says: ' You never know, someone might not get it.'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87747781

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more