A Conversation for Great Footballers

Players with Personality - No. 1 Eric Cantona

Post 1

Trout Montague

The first in a series on players with personality:

Eric Cantona
Vinny Jones
Paul Gascoigne
Paolo Di Canio



Ooh-Ah Cantona

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think that sardines will be thrown into the sea"

Master of the avant garde philosophical soundbite, Eric Cantona was the mercurial Frenchman whose inspirational performances in midfield surely contributed to Manchester United's return to trophy-winning ways, winning the Premiership title in his first season with the club (1992/93). Coming to a team full of gifted individuals, Cantona was the conductor that made them play to the same tune. He'd achieved pretty much the same thing at Leeds United the previous season, winning the last ever old-Division 1 title in his first and only season at Elland Road.

Borrowing from Roy Keane's autobiography, "Collar turned up, back straight, chest out, he glided into the arena as if he owned the place. And nowhere more effectively than Old Trafford. This was his stage, he loved it and the crowd loved him."

Cantona will be remembered for the infamous 'Kung Fu' attack on a Crystal Palace supporter at Selhurst Park on January 25, 1995, resulting in a lengthy ban and some community service. He has also indulged in a spot of thespianism (he starred in the 1998 film, Elizabeth), and made excellent job of THAT Nike advert for WC2002.


Players with Personality - No. 1 Eric Cantona

Post 2

Terran

I think you've missed someone : F101198?thread=225140&latest=1#p2626168


Players with Personality - No. 1 Eric Cantona

Post 3

Trout Montague

Ah sorry. I was just trying to introduce some new threads, not make a definitve list of charismatic players. It was more to give me an excuse to post my list of four without having to write them up, sort of in the hope that someone else would pick up the baton.

If anyone does Vinny Jones or Paul Gascoigne, a link to the 'fondling' photo would be terrific.


Players with Personality - No. 1 Eric Cantona

Post 4

Terran

I'm not doing the article, but here's the link http://www.bigbluetube.com/acatalog/scan/BBT045large.jpg.


Players with Personality - No. 1 Eric Cantona

Post 5

McKay The Disorganised

Is there a link between personality and behavioural defect ?



Just a thought.

smiley - run


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more