A Conversation for Dan Dare - Pilot of the Future

Marcus Morris

Post 1

vigrish

Rev Marcus Morris, who founded Eagle, was parish priest at St John's Birkdale, a town within Southport on the west coast of Lancashire.
He veered towards high church and was married to an actress, Jessica Dunning, which created quite an impression in the late 1940s.

The parish was in a prosperous area, much of the population being people who had made their pile in east Lancashire or who were working in Liverpool. The prosperity remains (2000s) although the immigrants now are football related. A fair Birkdale equivalent could now be introduced of the LA tour of film stars' houses.

This has brought back in spades and in popular format the glamour of the Morris family sixty years earlier.

I attended quite regularly Sunday school at the parish church on Sunday mornings. On one occasion Marcus Morris told us he was planning to launch a new comic and asked us to suggest names.

Naming things has always been a serious matter for me and I conceived hard over a week but all I came up with was "The comic atomic". The rest was not to be history.


Key: Complain about this post

Marcus Morris

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more