A Conversation for Essex, England, UK

UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 21

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

Hmmm, OK maybe I'll have a stab at it later on tonight.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 22

Mina

smiley - ok


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 23

jhutcher

Not sure whats been mentioned and whats not... but there is south end and the pier of course.

And there should be a section on all our sterotypes be it the escorts (of all sorts) and what not.

I live in Redbridge... formally part of Essex now Part of London... but perhaps you shold mention that a large part of the county was incooperated into the greater London region... we still have essex postal addresses after all.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 24

Mina

I think some people still have middlesex postcodes, and that county doesn't officially exist anymore. The post office isn't the most reliable source. smiley - biggrin


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 25

Paully

I'm delighted to announce that we already have two County entries in Peer Review, waiting to receive any bouquets or brickbats that people might lob in their general direction! If you're currently either working on or contributing to a County entries of your own right now, you might like to have a quick look at these entries and see how some other researchers have tackled this challenge. They are: County Fermanagh (A6092606) and Norfolk (A6108473).

Hope you enjoy reading them! smiley - smiley

Paully


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 26

Mina

I'm delighted to announce that if that's a hint I've suddenly gone deaf. smiley - whistle


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 27

Paully

A hint? Moi? Would I *ever* be quite that subtle?!

smiley - laugh

Paully


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 28

Mina

No, Subtle isn't a word I'd associate with you. smiley - laugh


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 29

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

A6431159

Beginning of an entry, its cut short because of personal problems but I'll try and finish it soon. In the meantime I thought I'd post it so I can get a nod or a shake if I'm in the right direction or not, also suggestions for extra things to be included and additional knowledge. Still yet to put a famous faces section in and one or two others.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 30

Mina

That's really good! I look forward to seeing it in Peer Review on it's way into the Edited Guide!

Don't forget to credit the Researchers in this thread if you've used their comments.

I can think of some links to entries in the EG already to add, at least two of them written by me. smiley - whistle Do you want additional info now to add to it, or do you want to wait until it's in Peer Review if you're not quite up to it yet?


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 31

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

Nah suggest 'em now, it'll make me look better in PR. I'll credit you next time I edit it, don't think anyone else gave much info.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 32

Mina

With a collaborative entry like this you should include as much as you can from this thread, even if it's only a famous name, or a couple of words. smiley - ok

I'll have another look in the next few days.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 33

E G Mel

Don't forget to link to my wonderful Mersea entry -> A810127
Also...

There are several Essex entries in various states already on h2g2 so you should do a search and include or link to as many as possible.

And...

The Tiptree jam factory as they are well know worldwide exporters and the company is unusual in that it is owned by the workers. ( http://www.tiptree.com/ ) other jam suppliers are available smiley - winkeye
The University of Essex ( http://www.essex.ac.uk/ ).
The pier at southend being the longest in the world ( http://www.southendpier.co.uk/ ).
The secret Bunker in Mistley ( http://www.plus44.com/local/essex/essexsecret.htm )
Colchester Zoo with its Zeedonks http://www.colchester-zoo.com/index.cfm?fa=education.species.detail&id=74 though it isn't true that they created the first as there were others in Africa before 1971 according to Darwin.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 34

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

Whoops, I didn't realise Mina and Mina [60/100] were two different users, that explains it. Doesn't explain much, but it certainly has "it" pegged.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 35

Mina

Sorry my fault, I'm actually the same person, but use two different accounts. It's a bit of a long story, but I am me, not matter what account I'm using. smiley - smiley


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 36

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

Oooooooh, ok :S

When I put you down as another researcher it puts you as written and researched by and me as edited by. Will this change when it gets put into the EG so that it was written by both and edited by whoever edits it? Also I tried using the special credit tag at the end for another person who provided some info but it doesn't seem to be coming up, know ye of any reason why?


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 37

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

Bit fleshier, but still under construction.

Mersea link added as per request :p and many many more links


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 38

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

On unedited entries you are credited as the Researcher until you add another Researcher to the entry. Then they become the Researcher and writer and you become the editor because you created the entry therefore you are the only person to have editing rights on it. It's not an ideal way of doing it - it would be much better IMO if everyone, including the creator of the entry, was credited as Researcher and writer, and the creator also credited as editor.

The special credit tag won't show up until the entry is edited and in the EG.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 39

Mina

It's best to credit everyone in the Researchers box for this, as we've all contributed something. You should reserve the special credit for yourself and use it as 'compiled by', because otherwise your name will be just one more name in the middle of a list of credits and no-one will realise that you did most of the hard work.

I'll have another look at the entry later when I've got some more time. I'm going away for the weekend, but I hope to have some time before then.


UK Counties & Regions - England - Essex

Post 40

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

Much more improved now, probably nowhere near finished but certainly getting there and becoming a lot fleshier. I don't want to do much more because it could become too long an entry, after all with such a size and history you could keep adding to it ad nauseum.

But any desperate suggestions for what to add, maybe a nice way to finish it off etc. or perhaps you think it needs a heck of a lot more work - if so just suggest a few things and I'll be happy to write it because I am somewhat out of ideas.


Key: Complain about this post