A Conversation for The Seven Tenets of Comedy and their Application Today

Generally ...

Post 1

brislib

I admire your entry -- I doubt that I myself would care to stick my own neck out on making literary definitions because there are so many blurred edges.

Irony / Satire -- something by no means ephemeral .Where would you place Swift's * Modest Proposal * , a piece of writing that is as relevant as ever in these days of Third World starvation and corporate greed encouraged by govermental desire to boost economies and gross national product ?

*Gross * -- highly applicable .

Then there is an example like the *Oxen of the Sun* chapter in Joyce's *Ulysses * -- in what category would you place it ?

A final comment on the *presentation * of comedy by the actor/comedian. It is a deadly serious business , even to the pratfall , which is why Benny Hill , with his smirks , could never in my canon be a true comedian .


Generally ...

Post 2

Mu Beta

"I admire your entry -- I doubt that I myself would care to stick my own neck out on making literary definitions because there are so many blurred edges."

Thankyou.smiley - ok But bear in mind that a good 50% of writing for the Edited Guide is bluffness, which I have in droves.smiley - winkeye

smiley - popcorn

"Irony / Satire -- something by no means ephemeral."

I tried to make it clear in the entry that irony is very rarely singular, hence the reason I didn't give a host of examples. Irony is very much an inground part of satire, the latter being where I would firmly place much, if not all, of Swift's work.

smiley - popcorn

"Then there is an example like the *Oxen of the Sun* chapter in Joyce's *Ulysses * -- in what category would you place it?"

Haven't read it, which solves most of my problems.smiley - biggrin
As I said when this was in Peer Review, it would be a very boring world if we tried to categorise everything that was vaguely humorous. All I tried to do was give illustrative examples.

smiley - popcorn

"A final comment on the *presentation * of comedy by the actor/comedian. It is a deadly serious business , even to the pratfall , which is why Benny Hill , with his smirks , could never in my canon be a true comedian ."

Not really relevant to the subject matter.smiley - sorry

B


Generally ...

Post 3

brislib


I tossed in that last comment because some comedy is presented in other than written form and the manner maketh the comic.

Slapstick , for example.

I see no reason for your being sorry !!!


Generally ...

Post 4

Mu Beta

It was more of an ellipsis: "Sorry (but I think that's a c**p suggestion)"smiley - winkeye

The entry started out as a fairly sober look at the Roman treatment of comedy, but halfway through, I realised it'd be much more fun to chuck in a lot of modern references and lose the Classicism.smiley - smiley

The manner does indeed maketh the comic - I see potential for a Collab entry there, actually.

B


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more