The Pennsylvania 'Duck' Meet; Part 3

1 Conversation

Finally, we have arrived at the beginning of the meet proper! Taken me long enough, hasn't it? smiley - winkeye

Id, Alexandra, Mr Christopher, Wonk, Jimi X, Paul H, Tac holding Zak, Amy+, Shorty, Amy P holding Croz

Saturday

In the lobby

Since I had gone to bed so early, I got up fairly early, as well. On my way down to the lobby, I learned that Mr Christopher's room and the room that the girls were sharing were just a few doors down from mine1. I checked my email, and since that was taking so long, I decided that I wouldn't even try to get onto h2g2, because I assumed that it would take even longer... (Though I later found out that h2g2 was loading quite quickly...)

Anyway, after a few trips back and forth between my room and the lobby, I had my sketchbook, some pencils, and a couple of photos of Croz that I'd printed out, as I'd promised to take a portrait of him to the meet with me, and I hadn't had time to do one. I did get started... Then Tac and Mr Christopher came down, and we started talking, so all that got finished was an outline of Croz's head. I seem to remember that someone took a picture of me sitting on the couch with the sketchbook on my lap and a pencil in my hand, but I have yet to see it online...

About that time, people started heading down to the lobby, both from our group and the people that were in Lancaster for a weight-lifting competition. About then was when Mr Christopher's parents determined that he could get a ride with anyone, so they left with their friends to tour Amish country2. And someone eventually got Id to wake up. Just in time, too, or Lady Scott, who arrived a few seconds after Id came down, would have mounted an expedition to get her smiley - yikes. While waiting for Paul to appear, and waiting for Jimi to arrive, photos were taken of those who were only there in spirit - AWK3 and Clive, with Zak standing in for Croz4. Then we started wondering how we'd recognize Jimi, as no one in our group had ever seen a photo of him... The question of what his last name is also came up, as it was getting late, and it was suggested that we call his house to see if he'd left yet5. No one did... So we remained in the middle of the lobby, blocking all traffic, as had been agreed6, watching each man that entered, to see if that could be Jimi. He made himself easy to identify, though. He was wearing an h2g2 t-shirt!

Breakfast

After introductions were made, the thirteen of us got into four vehicles, and headed off to the Lyndon Diner for breakfast. The looks on the faces when we announced that we needed a table for thirteen... It took a little while, as furniture needed to be moved... And even then, it wasn't quite right, as the table(s) only had place settings for twelve, but there wasn't room for another plate... So Id's parents took a table for two nearby.

The food was wonderful, and there was lots of it. Not just because our table had eleven people - each person had a lot of food. In fact, all Wonk had ordered was two pancakes and two sausages. Doesn't sound like much, does it? The pancakes were almost as big as the plate, and quite thick, and the sausages weren't small either. In fact, when Wonk couldn't finish hers, her dad came over from the other table, stuck his fork in the remaining sausage, and ate it, which we all found hilarious, though it must have looked quite odd to everyone else, as there was nothing to indicate that Mr and Mrs Id were with us...

Need I even mention that the conversation at the table was great, and that much laughter came from our side of the room? Thought not... smiley - winkeye

Jimi couldn't come to Hershey Park with us, as he had to work7, so we got a group shot of everyone except Mr and Mrs Id and Lady Scott, as they were handling all the cameras. Afterwards, we all got into our respective vehicles, and everyone but Jimi headed for Hershey.

Hershey, here we come!

So now there were a dozen of us in two cars and a minivan. I was in the car Tac was driving, with Paul and Mr Christopher. Lady Scott was leading the convoy, as she was the only driver that knew where we were going. For some reason, Tac decided to pass her... A few miles up the road, we pulled over and waited for everyone to pass us again. It took quite a few minutes...

That was a fun car ride! We started up a game of Questions Only, and I was soon reduced to laughing helplessly as Tac, Mr Christopher and Paul got going... When they tired of that (after my sides hurt) we popped in a Monty Python CD8 and laughed some more. And we decided we absolutely had to get a photo of the Welcome to Hershey sign (OK - I insisted, but the guys agreed) as well as at least one photo of Paul in a cornfield. Of course, we decided all this as we were arriving at the parking lot of Hershey Park...

Are we there yet?

Yes!

All three vehicle loads met up, and got ready to board the little train-thingy that takes you from the parking lot to the entrance. When we got off, we agreed to meet right there at 4.309, as we figured that the group would end up splitting up. We turned around to see if Tac agreed, as well, and he was gone. Now, Paul and I were expecting this, as Tac had told us in the car on Friday that that's how he is at theme parks, but no one had told everyone else... However, thanks to the lines, we caught up with him at the entrance, and some of us even got in before he did smiley - nahnah Not just those that had bought tickets in advance, either. We did lose Paul, though... But from all accounts, he had a good time at the zoo10 and he found Fluffy Pink Rabbit and brought him to join with the rest of us later, so it all worked out...

After entering the park, Tac disappeared again, and the rest of us split up, as well. Amy, Shorty, and I headed off to Big Bear, where we caught up with Tac yet again. We four stuck together pretty much for the rest of the time at the park. Unfortunately, we arrived at the park late enough that it was very crowded, and we only got to go on three rides... They were good rides, though! More unfortunately, water and soda and such were ridiculously expensive, and we never ran across any water fountains, and, as we later found out, it was 101 Fahrenheit! And humid, as well... Shorty thought that, because I was from California, I shouldn't have any trouble with the heat11, but as I said numerous times, 'I'm used to hot, not humid!' We never did manage to meet up with Shea and TJ on Saturday - the mobiles weren't working properly...

We made our way to where everyone was supposed to meet, and there was no one there, so we headed for the entrance of Chocolate World, on the theory that everyone would be in the air conditioning. I wanted to stop and take a picture of the entrance, but I guess no one heard me say so, because once I got the photo, everyone had disappeared. I went in, thinking that they might be inside, and they were. And we finally all met up again in the line for the Chocolate Making Tour. The Tour was cool - and it smelled wonderful!

After getting through with the tour, we split up yet again to wander the shops, shortly meeting up in the food court, where we discussed when we were to meet for dinner, and where we should go. We decided to meet at 7.30 in the lobby, and go to the Outback Steakhouse. Everyone then piled into the vehicle that brought them, and off we went. Of the two carloads going directly to the hotel (because Lady Scott, Amy, and Shorty were going home) our car got there last. We didn't get lost - we just went back by a different way12 (though I, the one with no sense of direction, as well as being in the back seat, was right about which exit it was). We also stopped to get the picture of the sign, and the picture of Paul in the corn. And we enjoyed watching the thunderstorm while we were on our way.

Back at the hotel

I did get back in my room in time to take a shower and change, and I think I was one of the first back down in the lobby - or, at least, I got there sooner than my fellow passengers13. I even went across the street to try to call Tom again. Didn't get him, again. But at least this time I'd made a point of getting the hotel number and I left that and my room number so he could call me back. When I got back, Alexandra was emailing with Theory, telling him what time we were going to meet in Long's Park the next day, and she passed on the message that I'd gotten the tape made and remembered to bring it, although she had no idea what I was referring to... About then, Lady Scott and Amy arrived (Shorty was tired) and informed us that the Outback looked closed - no lights on, no cars in the parking lot... Our only guess was that the restaurant had lost power due to the storm. After a hurried consultation, we decided to go to Chi-Chi's, which had the added advantage of being right around the corner. Though someone, who will remain nameless14 had trouble finding it.

Food! And sleep...

There was less trouble seating the 11 of us for dinner than the 13 for breakfast. And again, there was a ton of great food! Our waitress was a very good sport, even taking pictures of us and insisting on making sure AWK and Zak were in the photos (unfortunately it was too dark, and they didn't turn out well, but you can see them here). And it was Id's birthday, but we didn't tell the waitress, despite several threats to do so.

Again, much laughter and great conversation was had before we headed back to the hotel and the Scotts headed back home. They were going to pick me up for church in the morning, but at that point it wasn't known if Tac would be joining us... People pretty much went straight to bed once we returned (at least I did) as it was after midnight, and it had been a long day. Just as I was falling asleep15, around 1 am, the phone rang... It was Tom's mom. Tom was on his way back home, and I could hear Thomas in the background, so he was obviously conscious again! I would have been much more enthusiatic right then, but I had the phone on the pillow and my head on the handset, and I think I said something to the effect that I wanted to go to sleep, and that it was 3 hours later where I was, and thanks for calling, but goodnight.

And that's a good place to end this installment. The next will be Sunday, and maybe a bit of Monday if it doesn't go too long.


Pennsylvania 'Duck' Meet; Part One
Pennsylvania 'Duck' Meet; Part Two


Amy Pawloski


19.09.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1If I'd known that, I could have asked one of them to help me find my room! Oh, well...2smiley - dohThat's what one of the trips to my room was for! I called the Scotts to see if they'd have room, if necessary...3Avenging Washcloth4I still thought I'd get the portrait finished...5Naturally, no one had his phone number...6Though we weren't around the computer, as had also been agreed.7I think that's why...8Tac has a very eclectic CD collection9Take a wild guess how that turned outsmiley - winkeye10There was a zoo?!? I wanna go to the zoo... And didn't someone say that there's a petting zoo at Long's Park? How come we didn't end up there on Sunday? Only critter I got to see was the Demon Bunny (I mean Toffee) who I've heard enough about that I didn't want to pet her...11But then, she also thought Tac was 50smiley - winkeye12smiley - winkeye13So much for the stereotype about women and getting ready, eh?14A parent, and not a local one...15It takes me forever to fall asleep normally...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A831881

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more