A Conversation for Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Album

That cover! And other things ....

Post 1

Mikeo the gregarious

Before I start - fantastic article! smiley - biggrin

If you happen to have the CD version of the Pepper album, you may spot a list of people and things that were used for the cover - including the Beatles themselves. (By the way, this posting is mainly for the benefit of those who don't have a guide to the cover and/or the album on CD.) The models and cut-outs used for the original photo-shoot included two people who were later painted out - Leo Gorcey (who wanted a fee) and Gandhi (EMI requested he should be removed). They were also considering including a cut-out of Adolf Hitler (a photo of the preparations shows him in the sidelines), but they obviously thought better of it!

Three songs recorded during the sessions for the Pepper album, "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane" and "It's Only A Northern Song", were not included - I don't thing this wasn't mentioned in the article. If you do happen to listen to these songs before or after listening to Pepper, you can definitely hear a connection between them and the album - particularly "Northern Song".

Sorry for droning on - just thought you might be interested! smiley - smiley

Mikeo.


That cover! And other things ....

Post 2

Dr. Megabite

Very Interesting article smiley - applause

You might like to include the fact that John Lennon wanted Jesus and Mahatma Gandhi on the cover. The record company wouldn't allow Jesus on, since the album was released only a few months after Lennon's controversial 'more popular than Jesus' remark. Also, they wouldn't allow Gandhi on since the company thought it may offend the Indian Market.


That cover! And other things ....

Post 3

Alfredo




As I saw and heard at BBC - world, S.Pepper HCB was released exactly 40 years ago.

In their discussion no one really thought it was their best alsbum,
but besides that it was the most influentional one;

the cover
no time between songs
not just songs to dance in the disco
John aswell paul wrote about their childhood and george about his love for eastern religion.

They had their hands and heads completely free (no tours any more),
and because of that freedom they made a very important turn in popmusic.
I agree on that.

My favorite albums are until S.Pepper when I hear it all in 2007.

P.S.Yes, a day in a live is a very great song with a huge "momentum".
Very dramatic.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more