Basketball - Shooting and the BEEF Principle

1 Conversation

BEEF is an acronym designed to help any aspiring basketball player learn the skills necessicary to shoot correctly. By working on the points of BEEF you put yourself in a better position to be selected for a competitive team1.

"B" - Balance

Keep your feet shoulder width apart with your shooting foot2 slightly ahead of your non-shooting foot. Make sure you're entire body is square to the basket.

First "E" - Eyes

Choose a target (it could be the front of the rim, the center of the hoop, or the basket as a whole) and focus it only. Don't watch the flight of the basketball or your hand as you release.

Second "E" - Elbow

Cock back your elbow to a ninety degree angle and look at the back of your wrist. If you can see wrinkles, then you have your arm in the correct posistion. Rest the ball on the pads of your fingers with the center of the ball on your index finger3. Now place your guide hand side of the ball. Make sure it doesn't slip underneath. You will not be using it to help shoot the ball. It is there to make sure that the ball doesn't fall off of your hand before you shoot it, nothing more.

"F" - Flick of Follow-Through

Straighten your elbow and release the ball by flicking your wrist, which gives the ball backspin4. You should look look like you're reaching into a cookie jar that is on a shelf above your head.

Make sure your guide hand stays straight and doesn't help to push the ball.

To add distance to your shot, simply add a jump. Do not try to push the ball harder with your arms. All of your power should come from your legs.

How to Practice

All of these skills are useless if you don't practice them, but only a certain kind of practice will actually help you become a better shooter in game-situations.

Warm up by shooting close shots before moving out and launching up the three-pointers.

Whenever you go out to shoot, go game speed. Run after your rebounds. Shoot quickly as if the defense is closing on you.

If you are playing around, feel free to shoot trick shots, behind the back shots, half-court shots, etc. If you are working on your game, only take shots that you would take during a game.

Most importantly, work with intensity and heart! You are now on your way to having a great shot!

1because coaches will notice that they don't need to teach you the basic mechanics of shooting.2If you're right-handed, your shooting foot is your right foot. If you're left handed, your shooting foot is your left foot.3There is a valve in the center of the ball which acts as a good guideline for practice. However, in a game situation, one will likely not have time to find the valve before the defense closes in.4Backspin is a good thing. It gives you a softer shot, which keeps you from shooting up a brick.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A808418

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more