A Conversation for Dartmoor, Devon, UK

best pubs

Post 1

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

my fave dartmoor pub is the Dartmoor in - I'm not sure exactly what road it's on, but if you drive from the Lydford area accross the heart of the moor to Princetown you'll drive right past it. It does fantastic food - great to end a hike at.


best pubs

Post 2

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

...and I can't type
that was of course supposed to say the Dartmoor Inn


best pubs

Post 3

Sue

Only trouble with the Dartmoor Inn is that I think there's about 3 of them that I know of scattered about the moor! I think you pass 2 of them on the route you describe - one is in Lydford itself, the other is just past the quarry in Merrivale. The second one I've been in - quite a handy stop off point mid hike.

My personal favourite is the Warren House Inn, nice food, good drink and a view to die for! I've actually been known to sit outside shivering just because I refuse to leave that view and go inside where the log fire (and anybody halfway sensible ) is. Also a good start/finish point for a walk over to Grimspound and Hamel Down.

Any other nominations for favoutite pub of the moor? smiley - cheers

Sue


best pubs

Post 4

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

the Merivale one is the one I mean - thanks
I'm not so fond of the Lydford pub anymore - it seems to have gone v. upmarket in keeping with all the second homes in the area.
We always tend to camp at Lydford when we go to Dartmoor.


best pubs

Post 5

C Hawke

Well my fave is the Elephant's Nest in Horndon, although recently changed hands and I haven't been there since to make any judgement, but always was brill.

CH


best pubs

Post 6

C Hawke

alas new owners of the Nest have attempted to move it up market, but without the quality of food etc to back their attempts up (In the opinion of my friends) however the Mary Tavy Inn has also jsut changed hands with the new owner aiming clearly at the ex-regulars of the Nest, so all is not lost on the west side of the moor. smiley - biggrin

CH


best pubs

Post 7

Skankyrich [?]

The Warren House is definately the finest pub on the moor. Being a few miles from anywhere, it can't have any kind of "local" regulars, so there's always some madman (or woman) hanging around somewhere and if you know your beers and look sufficiently odd you're bound to have a good time.

However the best pub in Devon is the Cider Bar in Newton Abbot. I know this thread is dead and buried by now, but I only got here two days ago. Oh well.


best pubs

Post 8

C Hawke

No thread is dead and buried smiley - biggrin as long as people find it like you have it will be of use. smiley - biggrin

Having said that, I better update the last comment - the Elephant's Nest has changed owners again - the towny that did buy it has moved on - haven't heard how new owners are yet, although some locals were prepared to give them a good chance at getting the old Nest feeling back.

CHawke


best pubs

Post 9

Skankyrich [?]

If we're onto pub news, the Plume of Feathers in Princetown is up for sale. No more landlords in funky waistcoats. He's off to sail around the world in a brand new yacht, apparantly....


best pubs

Post 10

Sue

Having just got back from another very damp visit to the moor (that blasted horizontal rain gets in everywhere) I thought I'd pass on a couple of updates on what pubs to eat in (or not).

Very disapointed with the food at The Warren this time. For 5 quid for a jacket spud I expect something really special - maybe it was a one off but it was really naff - I'll not be eating there again. Still can't beat the view though.

On the other hand the food at the Prince of Wales in Princetown was superb. Massive great steak dinner for 6 quid, and it was really good. Nice smiley - ale too.

Roll on next May and I can go back again smiley - biggrin

Sue


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more