A Conversation for Correct Use of the Apostrophe In English

Apostrophe advice please

Post 1

Researcher 210162

I have recently been elected as chair of the Brightons Residents' Association. As you might gather, these residents live in an area known as 'the Brightons' and the association clearly belongs to them. Nevertheless, I would like to drop the apostrophe. Can I justify this action? Opinions please.


Apostrophe advice please

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

It is perfectly acceptable to use the apostrophe as you have shown it, but it would be more normal to omit it. There is no need for it. It is an association for residents so it a residents association. That doesn't mean "belonging to the residents". In the same way, if you had an association for Land, it would be the Land Association, not the Land's Association.


Apostrophe advice please

Post 3

Researcher 210162

Many thanks for this. Your reply makes perfect sense. I never felt happy with the apostrophe in the title and I am delighted to be able to dispense with it. Now, just the acronym problem to consider!


Apostrophe advice please

Post 4

Martin Harper

should be singular, though: Brighton Residents, not Brightons Residents... smiley - smiley


Apostrophe advice please

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Pay attention, now, Lucinda!


Apostrophe advice please

Post 6

Martin Harper

Irritatingly, I spotted that on the first read, but forgot...
Sorry!
-Martin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more