Buffets of Las Vegas Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Buffets of Las Vegas

2 Conversations

Las Vegas has been known for many years as the Mecca of gambling, entertainment and food. In recent years there has been an increase in the number of upmarket restaurants, including those owned by celebrity chefs. Those, however, are by no means the true hallmark of the culinary world of Las Vegas. To experience the true Las Vegas eating adventure, you'll be wanting a buffet.

Buffets have come along way in the past ten years, no longer exclusively stocked with fried chicken and pea salads (although a few throwbacks do still exist). Many of the modern buffets include several different stations offering ethnic or speciality foods. At most buffets it is possible to get a large assortment of food ranges including Chinese, Italian, BBQ and seafood, among others. Most now will prepare a steak while you wait at the grill or omelettes for breakfast or brunch. Many hotels and casinos have even decorated the areas around the different stations to reflect the origin of the cuisine.

Buffets start at around US$2.991 (about £2) for a dinner buffet at a small, out of the way casino, and run to at least US$25.00 (about £16) for the most lavish featuring crab, lobster, lamb and perhaps even caviar.

Some simple rules when dining at a Las Vegas Buffet are:

  • Never eat at a buffet that costs less than $5.95 for lunch or $9.95 for dinner. You get what you pay for and any less than that you may be paying for a horribly upset stomach.

  • Just because you put it on your plate doesn't mean that you have to eat it. Face it, although you may feel bad about wasting food with all the hungry people in the world, sometimes the food is just nasty. Don't eat it.

  • Take a little of what interests you and go back for more of your favorites. It is all you can eat after all.

  • Always save room for dessert. The selection is large and if you are at a finer buffet, it's usually good. Don't fill up on meat and potatoes, try the carrot cake.

  • Avoid any place that advertises a 'plate o'plenty' like you would avoid the plague.

  • Do tip the waitress/waiter - they bring you beverages and usually clean up the empty plates so that you have room for more.

  • Don't bother with the special 'Hawaiian Buffet Night' or the 'Friday Seafood Buffet'. The selection is seldom any better than on a regular night and the price is usually much higher.

  • Try the better Las Vegas Strip hotels rather than downtown. Some of the hotels and casinos in nearby Henderson are also good.

Las Vegas buffets have come along way in recent years. In the 1970s, it wasn't unusual for a trip to the buffet ended with an evening of stomach cramps. Today, it's different - the food is often wonderful and tasty. Everyone ought to try it at least once, for the experience if nothing else. It's another world.

1Prices correct at the time of writing.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A782598

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more