A Conversation for Hanse Cronje - Cricketer

Allegations from the sub-continent

Post 1

armagod

Regarding the match-fixing allegations, what I found most diappointing was the confident manner in which South African and English journalists, players and officials rallied to "support" Cronje and protest his innocence before examining the evidence.

It's not like the allegations were rumours in some scurrilous sub-continental rag - they were serious charges brought forward by the Police in India after much deliberation and careful collection and examination of evidence. Cricket is virtually a relgion in India and Cronje was a well-regarded figure who would have been widely recognised all across the country, after all.

It was only when the police chief in Delhi released transcripts of mobile phone conversations that Cronje admitted his guilt in the now-familiar tearful scenes.

Would the police of Australia or Englands have been treated with such malign disrespect had they made similar allegations? I think not.


Key: Complain about this post

Allegations from the sub-continent

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more