Swords of Power - Miscellanea

0 Conversations

Gadianle Ano

Two swords

Gadianle Ano is also known as the Guardian's Blade. It is the weapon of Artenshiur, and that of the rest of the Gadianhud. It indicates the becoming of a Gadian, and is so integral to a Gadian's life that Gadianhud are often "called" Blades.

Never forged, each Gadianle Ano is drawn from the ether by the power of the Blade, their origins lie in the basic principals of Truth. Each Blade is a black cylinder, the size of a sword hilt, and can extend either more of the hilt material to make a shaft, blade material to make a sword, or a combination to make a battleaxe, glaive, halberd, pike, spear, etc. All of these forms and more being known by differnet names.

The Gadianle Ano is extended by the will of the wielder. The blademetal is a blue tinged silver when first made, but that changes with use. There are three uses namely those of rending flesh, rending dark spirit and the healing of flesh and spirit. The first use tinges the blade blue over time, the second red, and the third green. They mix over time to the nature and degree of their use and it is believed that the wielder is in perfect balance when the blade is tinged white.

Excalibur

Two swords

The sword that Arthur had drawn from the stone had sadly broke in battle, so his druidic advisor Merlin bade the King to accompany him to a remte mist-swathed lake. Here, the king saw an arm clad in samite rising from the waters of the lake, holding aloft a sword and scabbard, which he duly accepted. The arm belonged to Nimue, the Lady of the Lake, and the sword was Excalibur, the greatest of weapons.

Excalibur's blade had no earthly match, and its scabbard protects the wearer from harm. It has a certain cachet only associated with arms borne by Royalty.

Laevateinn

Two swords

The flaming sword Laevateinn is also known as the "Wounding Wand" or the "Staff of Destruction". Laevateinn made it's wielder invincible in battle, could fight without being held, but was of course forged for the hand of a God. A mere mortal who removes it from it's resting place and drew the enchanted blade from it's sheath expecting it to behave as a normal weapon of steel perhaps would be in for quite a rude surprise.

The Elf Volund forged a sword so lethal that it imperiled the very gods themselves. The sword was taken from Volund and was brought to Asgard and passed into the hands of the god Freyr who traded Laevateinn for the hand of the Giant's daughter. Freyr would ultimately fall to his own blade during Ragnarok. With it, he could have defeated the Fire Giant and saved existence.

At Raggnarokk, Surt (lord of the realm of fire) wielded Laevateinn and severed the roots of the world tree Yggdrasil with it instigating the destruction of the universe.

In accordance with it's basic nature Laevateinn may only be hired out to divine beings or italics.

Tyrfing

Two swords

Svafrlami, King of Russia, and grandson of Odin, managed to trap two dwarves, and forced them to make him a gold-hilted sword that should never miss its stroke, never rust, and be able to cut through iron and stone as easily as cloth. The dwarves complied and wrought the sword Tyrfing, but cursed it that it should be the death of a man every time it is drawn, that it should be the source of three great evils, and that it should be the death of Svafrlami, himself.

Svafrlami was killed by the Berserker, Andgrim, who took possession of Tyrfing. Later the sword was carried by Andgrim's son, Angantyr who, along with his eleven brothers, went to war. All twelve fell in battle, and were buried in mounds on the Island of Samsey, and their weapons with them.

Tyrfing is a fine, massive broadsword. Its scabbard is golden and upon it, in high relief, were depicted the deeds of the old gods. Guard, grip and pommel were also crafted of gold, winking with precious jewels. When drawn the blade can be seen to be bright and flawless and can magically flash sun-dazzle into eyes even though the sun itself may lie below the horizon. Tyrfing was the sharpest of all swords, and shone like the rays of the sun. While in its sheath it was harmless, but as soon as it was wielded it immediately killed somebody. No living being wounded with this sword could survive for more than a day.

This Blade is not for hire given it's ability to bring the universe to an end and that wouldn't be good for business would it.

Death's Sword

Two swords

This particular sword came into the collection from the Discworld courtesy of Mystrunner - it is the Sword of Death. Actually it is more like the anthromorphic personification of Death itself.

In appearance it is a hilt without a blade. In reality it is the sharpest blade possible being one dimensional in nature. It's extremely thin blade, sparkles blue in just the right light.

The sword has the ability to sever a soul from the world and to dispatch it's owner to the great beyond. It's extreme sharpness also has an affect on the temporal world ... watch your fingers with this one.

Frostmourne

Two swords

Created by a Lordaeron Blacksmith, Frostmourne is a legendary and ancient magical sword that was made along with a magical protective amulet thus bringing a terrible offense and a superlative defense into being. NB: The Carnelian Knight offers a large reward for the Amulet.

Coming into the possession of the Dark Lord Frostmourne was used to slay the Blacksmith with the very blade he created. Frostmourne was then concealed within the mountains near the Dark Lords fortress before coming into the possession of the Carnelian Knight.

Frostmourne is capable of destroying the Lords of Light and Dark alike and will be destroyed itself if the amulet is destroyed.

Potential borrowers should be aware that Frostmourne possesses the power to control anyone who is unworthy to wield it.

Colada and Tizon

Two swords

Worth a thousand golden marks each was El Cid's great twin swords Colada and Tizon that for strength and edge are well known.

The pommels and the hilt-bars were all of gold.

Tizon was the sword of King Bucar of Morocco who attacked Valencia with 50,000 men but was bettered by the Cid who killed Bucar and captured his sword.

Joyeux

Two swords

Joyeux, the sword of Charlemagne, commands a legion of Paladins.






Hrunting

Two swords

Hrunting is a rare and ancient sword which Unferth gave to Beowulf before the fight with Grendel's mother. This sword possesses great powers and has never failed anyone who has used it in battle.

"a rare and ancient sword named Hrunting.
The iron blade with its ill-boding patterns
has been tempered in blood. It had never failed
the hand of anyone who hefted it in battle,
anyone who had fought and faced the worst
in the gap of danger. This was not the first time
it had been called to perform heroic feats

Return to the Carnelian Knight's page.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A762374

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more