G. and T. anyone?

5 Conversations

The Gin and Tonic (Guide, passim).


Broadly, there are two ways of making a G and T. This is the correct one.

Preamble.

The term gin and tonic is something of an understatement. A gin and tonic occurs when the following elements coincide:

1. The right glass (q.v.);
2. The right quantity of gin (q.v.);
3. A correctly judged slice of lemon (q.v.);
4. The correct quantity of ice (q.v.);
5. The right quantity of tonic (q.v.);
6. The correct temperature distribution throughout the above (q.v.);
7. The total absence of a stupid miniature parasol made out of matchwood and purple crepe paper.

1. Glass Choice.

This ultimately will be intensely personal. Be guided by two rules. Firstly, frosted or patterned glass is fine and is a matter for you and your conscience. Decoration however, if you insist on it, must be confined to the outside of the glass. Any deviation from absolute smoothness on the inside is going to cause unnecessary effervescence of the tonic and over rapid deterioration of the drink's quality. For this reason it is also wise to be very wary of any glass that has been through the dishwasher a few times. Choose your glass, know it, and don't let anyone else subject it to uncontrolled cleaning methods. Secondly, (and this is going to seem obvious to a lot of people, but its importance cannot be overemphasised) the glass must not on any account be too big. A capacity of 250ml is perfect, although 300ml is tolerable. We will see why.

2. The Right Quantity of Gin.

We are discussing here the right quantity of gin. We are not discussing a quantity of 'gin'. 'Gin' is sold in shops and supermarkets as gin, but can be spotted by an identification on the label which reads "ALC. BY VOL. 37.5%". This is 'gin'. What you are looking for is gin, a wholly different fluid whose label contains the information "ALC. BY VOL. 47.3%". The right quantity of gin is 70 to 75ml. Pour this quantity, at drinks-cabinet ambient (19°C) into the glass.

3. A Correctly Judged Slice of Lemon.

The lemon is cut to a thickness of 5mm, or as near as you can judge it. Thicker and you are wasting it; thinner and juice delivery will have dwindled significantly by the end of the drink. If in doubt however, err on the thick side. Lemons are cheap, your fingers aren't. [Tip: Always keep your lemon supply in the fridge. The lemons will stay fresher longer, be easier to slice and at no warmer than 4°C, the slice will help maintain the delicate equilibrium of the temperature system that you are in the process of constructing.] Cut a slice from the lemon now, and put it in the glass. In the glass. Not split, and hung uselessly over the rim. Thank you.

4. The Correct Quantity of Ice.

One ice cube will suffice. You are not trying to sink the Titanic. An ice cube is a crude but effective coolness delivery system whose negative side effect is that of also being a crude but effective water delivery system. Water dilutes. To get the best of this trade off, we obviously want as much coolness in as little water as is practicable. The experimentally confirmed optimum is a 25ml ice cube at -12°C. At this temperature the ice is recognisably 'sticky' to the touch, and makes a satisfying 'crack' during the implementation of stage 5 (below).


5. The Right Quantity of Tonic.

Tonic comes in yellow labelled bottles or cans, and is found in the top compartment of your fridge. It has been there for at least three days, and has stabilised to a temperature of no more than 2°C. The right quantity of tonic is that amount which fills the remaining capacity of the glass. It is now evident as to why on no account can the glass size be allowed to stray too far upwards. Tonic also dilutes. Add the right quantity of tonic.

Epilogue.

You have followed these simple directions… and you have created a drink as near to perfection (q.v.) as nature will allow. Sip and savour. Eat your heart out British Airways.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A76213

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more