A Conversation for Etiquette for Chess Spectators

typo

Post 1

Martin Harper

It's a piece edited in-house, so naturally it's typo city... smiley - winkeye

> "knocking into a player may force him to touch a player"

or, more critically, touch a PIECE.

> "The result is that the longer the tournament progresses the more of the top players you are going to have to get a result against most of them to remain in with a chance of winning."

Uh, what?

> "So, apart from the first round where the top ranked player faces the player with the best ranking from the lower half of the draw, all the best action is going to start to become focused on the top few boards as these are players, who even dropping half a point, might jeopardise their success in the tournament."

try "who in dropping even half a point", I guess. And split into a couple of sentences, preferably.


Walkabout

Post 2

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

What about the great chess walkers. Kasparov I believe is one of chess's all-time great stage pacers. Also, how about the snacks? Was it the Spassky-Fischer match were one side were accused of sending messages via yogurt?


typo

Post 3

World Service Memoryshare team

smiley - laugh and smiley - blush from all of us!

smiley - smiley

All fixed.


Walkabout

Post 4

j

Karpov vs Korchnoi in the 1978 World Championship wasn't it?


Walkabout

Post 5

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Typo?
"There will always be a point in a game that a player has to make a choice between two moves of equal outcome in their eyes; it may have lead to victory or success depending on what the opponent had seen."

Rather: "... victory or defeat..."
or
"... failure or success..." ?

Great entry, nevertheless. smiley - smiley


Walkabout

Post 6

World Service Memoryshare team

Thanks Tube smiley - smiley


typo

Post 7

djemaelfna

lucinda (and Al, apparently) you are so right to point out these errors. is the general opinion of the editors that if you cant make the piece interesting, at least make it grammatically torturous? if the contributors at the beeb are editing articles for offensive content they should also allow the same censor police to edit the boring, the illiterate and the plain incomprehensible.


typo

Post 8

Tube - the being being back for the time being

smiley - erm


typo

Post 9

Recumbentman

'By in large', near the beginning. The usual expression is 'by and large' -- is this a Belfast version?


typo

Post 10

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"There will always be a point in a game that a player has to make a choice between two moves of equal outcome in their eyes; it may have ***lead*** to victory or success depending on what the opponent had seen."


"Lead" is a mineral useful for blocking radiation. "Led" is the past-tense of "to lead", the verb meaning....umm..... "To lead."

smiley - pirate


Key: Complain about this post