A Conversation for Expat Bars in Lyon - France

The smoking dog...

Post 1

MCJC001

I have been working in Lyon on and off for seven years, I recognise all the bars in the article but in doesn't include the main ex-pat bar which is The Smoking Dog at 16 Rue Lainerie, in the old quarter. It even has an Indian restaurant nearby and a French Tandoori takeaway opposite.

The Guinness is OK, but it also has John Smiths bitter, Walkers crisps and pork scratchings, which the French find exotic.
Also English newspapers on the rack.
Also a bi-lingual quiz night on Tuesday. It is so quintessentially English even the French go there to experience UK culture. And there are no tourists.
"Pouvais-vous m'donna une pant du Guinness s'il vous-plais et une packet du pork-scratchings aussi...."


The smoking dog...

Post 2

Whisky

Hi there - I'm the original author of this... And to be honest, as it was written 5 years ago, one day I'm going to have to get around to updating it - there have been quite a few changes since it was first knocked together.

The Smoking Dog is mentioned briefly, but having re-read the entry for the first time in years - the whole thing's a little sparse on details... (I've written far better stuff than this)


The smoking dog...

Post 3

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

well, years and years ago the albion was the place, but it's gone... to the dogs. now i'd rate the smoking dog and the saint james about equal.

but i've started preferring le palais de la bière on the "pentes"... royal!


The smoking dog...

Post 4

Whisky

Not really a 'British' pub as such... but have you tried the Wallace near St. Pauls? A seriously enormous selection of whiskies there.


The smoking dog...

Post 5

bobstafford

So is this the area you know or do you go further afield smiley - ale


The smoking dog...

Post 6

Whisky

I live in Lyon, so my knowledge of pubs further afield is fairly limited...

Although I might be able to find information if you need any...


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Expat Bars in Lyon - France

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more