A Conversation for Guerrilla Gardening

Of course!

Post 1

Icy North

Now I remember who James May reminds me of...


Of course!

Post 2

Lusus

It does appear as if James May's dress sense is stuck in the 1970s. Why this image was included with this entry I can only guess. I think a certain member of the H2G2 staff needs to raise their game A LOT!


Of course!

Post 3

Icy North

Like Peter Purves's shirts, it's a matter of taste. I enjoyed the picture and, although not matching the content of the text exactly, it did pique my interest in reading the article.

Before you complain too vociferously about the pictures you were given, have a look at a few of the ones they chose for me smiley - biggrin :

a roundabout in Slough: A19773499
an ugly factory unit: A29779032
a bunch of kids smoking: A31699146
or, my (ahem) favourite, a garden gnome with a chainsaw: A29779159

(Actually, maybe that one would do for yours? smiley - winkeye)

But I won't complain - the editors do their best with limited resources, and they sometimes make an inspired choice - I still can't believe they found this picture of Grey Owl in the BBC archive: A53811777

smiley - cheers Icy


Of course!

Post 4

Lusus

Hi Icy

Where do the editors find these pics smiley - laugh

The editors kindly suggested that I email them an image to use with the entry, so I have to agree they do the best they can under the circumstances.

I think my concern is that each entry has to stand up against all other similar content on the net, which is as much a visual medium as anything. Because of this each entry will be judged by a wider audience on how it looks as much as its content, which is why I threw a bit of a moody.

I have to agree though, I really shouldn't complain too much and should appreciate the efforts the editors make on our behalfs.


Of course!

Post 5

Icy North

That's an interesting point about comparing your article with other sites. The nature of h2g2 is that the articles are written from a personal viewpoint, and, despite what the writing guidelines say, they contain both opinion and humour (and the better they are for it). The site's unique selling point is that it was conceived by a comedy writer, and there is a pervading spirit of self-deprecating humour which runs through it.


Of course!

Post 6

Lusus

I wasn't really comparing my article imparticular with other sites, but rather making a general point about how internet audiences percieve content as a whole.

Your point about the USP of H2G2 is something I perhaps should have taken more into account, although I don't think our views are mutually exclusive.

The lesson for me is of course, not to take my entries here too seriously smiley - smiley

PS: I see you like Peter Purvis's shirt so much you have added the pic to your personal space smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more