A Conversation for Human Evolution - the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis

Holding our breath

Post 1

Wendles

My vet tells me that guinea pigs can hold their breath, which makes it difficult to anaesthetise them for surgery. When presented with the sleepy-gas tube they freeze and stop breathing, until they run out of oxygen and take a big whooping breath, thus running the risk of dying from taking on too much anaesthetic gas. (The solution is to administer a tranquilliser beforehand, which apparently renders them incapable of caring when someone stuffs a funnel over their face.)

So are guinea pigs descended from aquatic rodents? Or is the ability to hold our breath a red herring ...


Holding our breath

Post 2

Hoovooloo

"So are guinea pigs descended from aquatic rodents? Or is the ability to hold our breath a red herring ..."

I think the answer is probably both... many rodents are aquatic or semi-aquatic, but I don't know how the family tree looks. But the breathholding thing could well be a red herring. I'm starting to doubt the theory strongly since reading an excellent website linked to from one of the other convs at the bottom of this entry. Which doesn't necessarily destroy the point of the entry, mind you...

H.


Holding our breath

Post 3

U195408

I've seen a guinea pig swim, if that's of any help.


Holding our breath

Post 4

Jose Minge, Chair and Keeper of The Imperial Deafness, don't you know.

Could be a shock thing, like when you flip a rabbit on its back? They completely freeze apparently.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more