A Conversation for The Rule of St Benedict

St Benedict

Post 1

Drystane Dyke

Benedict would have been thrilled to be described as obscure. I'm not sure, though, that you can describe the patron saint of Europe in that way.

BTW "nunnery" is not the proper name for houses of women. The correct words are monastery (for a house of nuns in solemn vows) or convent (for a house of sisters in simple vows).

And you forgot Matins. Lauds is a morning office, not a night one.

Apologies...I could go on...but I won't (pedant and ex-Benedictine!)


St Benedict

Post 2

Elentari

Hi DrystaneDyke, thanks for reading the entry!

I read a book (can't remeber which) that called Benedict obscure - it means, I believe, that he was obscure during his lifetime, not now.

If I can make use of your knowledge to answer these questions, I can ask the curators/eds to change them.

a) What would houses of Benedictine nuns be called?

b) Exactly what corrections need to be made to the offices? Could you do me a huge favour and list the correct ones for me?

Please don't apologise, it's my fault if the entry is wrong, and I'd rather it didn't stay that way, so if anything else needs changing, please do let me know!

smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Rule of St Benedict

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more