Dragonfly

0 Conversations

A bird being looked at through a pair of binoculars

Some people think that a dragonfly is cute. Where I come from, the concept cute could not apply. Awesome, maybe. Beautiful, perhaps, or even scary. But not, definitely not, cute.

They are so BIG where I live. Once they were endangered because their habitat was being cultivated, but we didn't want to lose these beautiful animals, and have various sanctuaries around the world where they are preserved and can life in relative harmony.

These dragonflies of which I speak more closely resemble the dragons of your mythology than the insects which bear this name. The greatest difference is in the size. Their heads are the size of a small deer and they are vegetarian in nature. Six feet are arranged evenly along a smooth body which can be brilliant blue, green or copper. In the iridescent colours they are like your dragonflies but are a couple of metres in length. Some of the larger, older males can reach three metres in height. The wings are massive and transparent. They are really quite a sight to behold, and indeed people travel long distances in my world just to do this – a kind of pilgrimage during the spring and summer when they come together for their spectacular dragonfly mating rituals. I went on one last year, and will never ever forget the spectacle that these glorious animals made.

Now I'm a visitor in your world for a short time, taking note of your culture and society. It is so different from my own that it all feels very alien, and I don't suppose I will ever understand this karaoke phenomenon in which you indulge. (Why would you want to do this? Is it really entertainment to you?) Anyway, it was in acquainting myself with your insects that I found out about your dragonflies, and it gave me quite a surprise to find an insect with the same name as the beautiful animals at home.

I am due to go home in a couple of days and have taken pictures of your wildlife, including the dragonfly, to show to my people. Perhaps in time we will be allowed to do some kind of exchange programme where some of your people can come to our world; and I would love to show you then our wonderful dragonflies. But that is in the future. I am the first from my world and my planet's decision on my research of your Earth and species will decide if others will follow my lead and any subsequent action to be taken. I must say it has been interesting and informative – but I might purposely omit the research on the karaoke, though.

A green dragon

The Fiction Stories Archive

Mystic Musician

05.07.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A71156180

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more