A Conversation for Sloe Gin

Look out for moth Larvae when picking.

Post 1

MisterHeritage

If you pick your Sloes too early there is a risk you might pick some with moth larvae inside. The larvae enter the fruit by making a small hole in late September when the fruits have turned blue and proceed to eat the flesh of the fruit. By mid-October all the fleshy part is eaten and the Sloe will look all dried up and wrinkly. I believe the larvae then enters the stone where it pupates. You can safely pick all the other Sloes when you see the wrinkly ones on the bush.

If you should happen to include Sloes containing Larvae in your Sloe Gin, it won't matter. It does not affect the flavour and is not toxic, you will just end up with a litlle extra body in your drink.

If you pick before the first frost; weigh, wash and dry your sloes then freeze them in airtight bags for two days. This also makes them easier to prick by rolling the frozen fruit over the puree part of a grater with your palm.


Look out for moth Larvae when picking.

Post 2

Azara

Thanks for the tips!

Azara
smiley - rose


Look out for moth Larvae when picking.

Post 3

don1982don

I freeze then thaw then cut twice at right angles afore bottling


Key: Complain about this post

Look out for moth Larvae when picking.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more