A Conversation for Sloe Gin

It's sloe gin time once more...

Post 1

Daedalus

This is the first year for about three years that there have been any sloes on our local hedges (N Yorks). In fact it looks to be a bumper year ( they were growing like blackcurrants in one location). I thought that it maybe depends when the farmers cut the hedges, or maybe they run in a 3 year cycle, or maybe we are in for a stiff winter. If so then at least we'll have some sloe gin to thaw us all out (no I can't wait twelve months either)


It's sloe gin time once more...

Post 2

Azara

I haven't looked around here in County Wicklow yet - I usually wait until Halloween and the first real frosts before I start collecting. I already have a big bottle of dutyfree gin for this year's batch, though!

Azara
smiley - rose


It's sloe gin time once more...

Post 3

Daedalus

Our first frosts aren't always that early, but the sloes are ripe and bloomed now so I've put them all in the freezer for a couple of weeks (seems to work) which has the effect of allowing you to crack them all with a rolling pin instead of pricking them...


It's sloe gin time once more...

Post 4

Azara

Ah, technology!

I must remember that...

Azara
smiley - rose


It's sloe gin time once more...

Post 5

Bellman

Also a bumper year for damson. Use the same recipe as sloe but omit the sugar - damsons are sweet enough in themselves.

The great advantage over sloe gin is that you can eat the remaining damsons after you decant the liquor.


It's sloe gin time once more...

Post 6

Bellman

Just cracked open the jar for Christmas and very nice it was too. Only two dangers:

1. Damson gin looks and smells like Ribena. But it's nearly pure gin so use a small glass.

2. The damsons from the jar are excellent with cream. They too are high-octane so don't plan on going anywhere until you've metabolised the alcohol.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more