A Conversation for Jose Bove - the Man Who Dismantled a McDonalds

anti-Mac!

Post 1

Bagheera: Spellchecker, Grammarian Pedant, Semiquavering Secretary and member of the Punctuation Police

Thanks for an enjoyable read!
Pity m. Bove has already used the title "The World is not for Sale" - sounds like a catchy title for the next Bond film!smiley - ok


anti-Mac!

Post 2

purplejenny

*chuckle*

Glad you liked it. Fancy a big mac smiley - devilsmiley - burger ?

smiley - winkeye


anti-Mac!

Post 3

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Good writing! And good story. The sort of stuff I wish I'd known about earlier.

TRiG.smiley - tea


anti-Mac!

Post 4

Fraggle

Good stuff! I'd heard about the guy in passing, but I hadn't heard that they'd actually taken the building apart! I thought they'd just messed it up a bit! What a brilliant way to protest. Anyone fancy dimantling a Starbucks? What about Niketown! The coroporate world can't make money if they don't have a shop floor. Makes a change from paint bombs and flyers.

Really enjoyed the piece, keep it up.

F


anti-Mac!

Post 5

purplejenny

Dismantling stuff is a simple statement.

Removal of an "on the ground" presence is a clear "objecticval achievement."

Off the top of my head, googleing things like "guerilla gardening" "anarchist farming", "wwolf", "squat anarchy" and suchlike will provide plenty of further reading.

CREATIVE DEMOLITION could be a smashing idea, so long as its non-fatal and encourages positive outcomes. Some buildings are worthless, others outstay thier welcome even before the planning stage. People living nearby have very little say in planning decisions about huge new things.

There is a growing kerfuffle about how large supermarkets seem to routinely flout planning laws and then restrospectivley apply for permission to do so.

A mate of mine has a great anedote about an industrial area of town which was formerly a factory site, then the site closed down, the area was 'landscaped,' and so later, locals could pass by and say "I remember when them fields were all factories." wi't tear in't eye.

That's what I would want to see happen to all out of town superstores, with the freed up space used for community gardens, wildlife havens and organic fruit and veg plots.


anti-Mac!

Post 6

Fraggle

Well spoken.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Jose Bove - the Man Who Dismantled a McDonalds

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more