A Conversation for 'The Book of Kells'

Hands on Experience

Post 1

Guran

Nice entry, Azara. You've covered the topic very nicely and succinctly.

Last year the Book of Kells (the real one) was displayed at the National Gallery of Australia (and other galleries - it was on a limited world tour). It was displayed together with two facsimiles (copies printed to perfectly emulate the look and feel of the original item) which are both owned by a local collector. My wife is the office manager for the caterers at the gallery, and had the rare experience of donning a pair of cotton gloves and leafing through one of the facsimiles at her leisure, over a half hour period. Assuredly this doesn't happen often, but she happened to be in the right office at the right time at the end of the exhibition. She reports that it was one of the most wonderful experiences in her bibliophilic life. The Book of Kells is surely one of the triumphs of church art, and its description makes a worthy entry in the Guide.

Again, Azara, well done!


Hands on Experience

Post 2

Azara

Thanks, Guran!
smiley - blush You're very kind.

I'd love to manage that length of time with a facsimile myself. I was a fairly small child when I went to visit the original first, and I was definitely disappointed when I found I could only see two pages.

I think that tour was only to Australia - in recognition of all the Irish emigrants over the years.

Azara
smiley - rose


Key: Complain about this post

Hands on Experience

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more