A Conversation for 'Oranges and Lemons' - The Nursery Rhyme

Some more titbits

Post 1

infohound

I found another site which quotes a full version of the rhyme and also identifies all the churches; there is an extra couplet in it, viz. "You owe me ten shillings say the bells of St Helens"
http://www.rhymes.org.uk/oranges_and_lemons.htm

Point of information re contending churches :
Surely this rhyme is about bells and churches in the City of London (London Town). Neither St Martin-in-the-Fields nor St Clement Danes is or has ever been in the City of London. I know that Whitechapel and Stepney are both outside the City, but in olden times the City spread to the East and not to the West, and I suspect that those places were considered as suburbs in exactly the way that Westminster was not.


Some more titbits

Post 2

Mina

Thanks for reading the entry! It's nice to know that all this time after I wrote it, people are still reading.

The City of London has never really spread past the Tower, as that was the limit of the City Wall - A2266832 - and it's always simply been the swuare mile. I suppose that depends on what you mean by 'olden' times, and what you mean by spread though.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more