A Conversation for Great Outdoor Markets

Sittard (NL)

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

Whenever I can get a Thursday morning off (very rarely these days however) I hotfoot it over to Sittard market.

It's a market as I remember them from when I was a kid: fruit & veg, meat, fish, clothes, household goods. And then there are the things that I go for: fabrics, haberdashery and buttons. Not only is the range of materials etc. available far better than in any of the towns close to me (even the big ones) but the prices are great too. As an example I bought enough fabric to make 6 summer dresses for my kids for 10 Guilders (hmmmm... I'd have to say about 3 pounds?)

And not only that. The people running the stalls really know their goods, and (unlike the shops in Germany) will usually give you the end of a roll if there is less than a metre, for nothing. *faints*


Sittard (NL)

Post 2

Adhemar

On a related note, Dutch people don’t pay with Dutch guilders nowadays anymore.

One currency to rule them all (at least in parts of Europe).


Sittard (NL)

Post 3

Sho - employed again!

yes, but I couldn't be working out the € thing... but Hfl 10 is what, €5?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more