The ASCII Picture Quiz 3: Solution

1 Conversation


, ; , .-'"""'-. , ; ,
\\|/ .' '. \|//
\-;-/ \-;-/
// ; ; \\
//__; :. .; ;__\\
`-----\'.'-.....-'.'/-----'
'.'.-.-,_.'.'
jgs '( (..-'
'-'

These are the solutions to the Ascii Picture Quiz 3 which appeared in a recent issue of The h2g2 Post. Follow the links to see the original pictures.

Picture 1

I'm going to be strict here. George Formby is playing the banjo ukulele, also known as the Banjolele. Turned out nice again!

Picture 2

An unusual angle, but you might have spotted the saxophone of the jazz legend John Coltrane.

Picture 3

Could it be anything other than the harmonica? This virtuoso performer is the great Larry Adler. Did you know that Ralph Vaughan Williams once composed music for him?

Picture 4

That bowler hat is a dead giveaway for clarinet player and band leader Acker Bilk. His real name is Bernard; Acker is Somerset slang for 'mate'.

Picture 5

Did you spot the incredibly elastic cheeks of Dizzy Gillespie, playing the trumpet, or as they often call it, the horn?

Picture 6

Phil Collins of Genesis loves to bang a few drums, but it's not really him in the gorilla suit in that Cadbury's ad.

Picture 7

Her dad taught the Beatles how to play. This is Ravi's daughter Anoushka Shankar with her sitar. This one's full size, but when she was young she had a baby sitar.

Picture 8

Jimi Hendrix up to his usual tricks, supposedly playing the guitar with his tongue. Is that what they call a guitar lick?

Picture 9

He's playing all the right notes... but not necessarily in the right order. It's Andre Previn at the piano on The Morecambe and Wise Show .

Picture 10

It's Rolf Harris extracting some otherworldly noises from his trusty didgeridoo. Sun arise... come with the dawning.. spreading all the light all around.

Icy's Quizzes and More Archive

Icy North

26.04.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A67016252

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more