A Conversation for Food Shopping in France

You have to be joking

Post 1

Phweephwoo

I'm sorry I shouldn't whinge after all if I don't like it I could always move couldn't I ? BUT this article must have been written by someone in the employ of the French Tourist Board, and or Peter Mayle.

I've lived in Brittany, proper small town Brittany for five years and let me just pt a few things right.

Markets: The tradition of the French Market is dying, and dying fast. In the village I live in there are now only one or two stalls per week selling jolly nylon housecoats and little more. In the larger town there is a market every week and yes it has plenty of stalls, but the selection is poor, none of those lovely fresh mediteranean vegetables for a start (they're all in Sainsbury's) and the uality is not good.

Supermarkets: Well it's half right; some are better than others, but none get anywhere near the selection you can find in a British one. French supermarkets have french products, and not all of them either, an olive is hard to find in Brittany. I always find it interesting to see Marmite as an exotic food.

Shopping in the towns: Again I'm sorry, but the French have adopted le microwave and le boil-in-ze-bag with zeal, and consequently the smaller shops are dying, if not dead.

I'm sorry to be the harbinger of doom for all those of you about to dash to France for some fine cuisine, but......


Key: Complain about this post

You have to be joking

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more