A Conversation for Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram

Planets

Post 1

PaulBateman

Good entry. Just a question or two.

Are there any stars within 50 light years of ours which are known to to be roughly Sun-like? If so, is it known whether there planets orbiting these starts and if so what sort of planets? (Sorry if this sounds like an essay question - I'm just curious and I didn't know how to put the question - luckily I didn't put the dreaded "compare and contrast" phrase in)


Planets

Post 2

Cefpret

Well, there is a so-called 'counterpart of the sun'. It's HD44594, the star that is closest to the sun as far as physical properties are concerned. 'HD' means Henry Draper catalogue. Maybe there's an online version of the HD catalogue where you can find the position and distance. But the fact that it has such an odd name suggests that it's a very faint star.

Alpha Centauri, or Rigel Kent, or Toliman (all the same) is not only one of the closest stars (4.4 lightyears) but also very similar to the sun. Yellow, main sequence, just a little bit bigger.

As far as I know, astronomers have found strong hints for some planetarial systems, however I don't know whether Alpha Centauri is among them. I think Beta Pictoris was the first star where they saw something that is possibly a solar system.


Planets

Post 3

PaulBateman

smiley - cheers Isn't tau ceti - or something like that - also a possiblilty? Though there is every chance I could be trying to remember facts that aren't true.


Planets

Post 4

Sea Change

I have never heard of the alternative names for Alpha Centauri. Where do they come from?


Planets

Post 5

Cefpret

I really don't know. 'Kent' is of course Centaurus, 'Rigil' maybe a part of the body? Wasn't Rigel the foot of Orion?smiley - erm

'Toliman' may be ancient Greek, there was a hero called 'Teleman'. Though I don't know. If somebody of you has a good connection, maybe do some internet research?smiley - winkeye


Planets

Post 6

Sea Change

Frosty Drew Observatory has a large selection of arabic roots that explain Rigel Kent (among others). One site I saw linked Toliman to a bastardization of the Arabic for Ostrich, but it is the only one I found like that: most merely refer the name back to Alpha Centauri. I was hoping someone knew more.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more