A Conversation for Classic Sporting Moments

Belgian Grand Prix 1998

Post 1

Lifson Kofie

For me - a major Formula One (and Damon Hill) fan, this race was and still is one of the greatest races I have ever seen in my life. For those who can't remember (and I still have this on tape!!) ...

The amazing David Couthard-initiated pile-up at the 3rd corner of the first lap left some teams only able to enter one driver in the spare car. The carnage and debris of that pile-up, along with the fact that nobody was even so much as hurt by the crash made it one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen!

The monsoon-like rain throughout the race proved for some more fantastic pieces of action - continued towards the end by the edge-of-you-seat tension as we were all failing to find out which of the two Jordan cars were going to be allowed to win. The faster one (Ralf Schumacher) or the one with more points (Damon Hill).

As the two cars came closer, and it ever increasingly looked as if Ralf was going to overtake - he held back, and there they stayed, for a formation finish - providing Hill with his last Formula One race win, and the Jordan team's first.

As I sat there on the floor in my living-room, surrounded by my Non-F1-watching family, I felt his sheer elation on the podium as if I was the man himself, truely happy.

Later it emerged in a documentary that Hill had been on the radio to the team - and given Eddie Jordan the choice. If Schumacher Jr. wanted to overtake and take the win, he was given the chance. As it was - Jordan told both drivers to hold position and Schumacher Jr. (albeit rather grudgingly) did as he was asked, and for that - many Damon Hill fans are immensely greatful. Hill's selflessness in asking the team to decide instead of just taking the race for himself, rewarded the team with a maximum 16 points and gave Hill another place in the history books.

Thank you Damon for that race - It was one of the proudest moments of my life to see you win.

smiley - geekLifson Kofiesmiley - geek


Key: Complain about this post

Belgian Grand Prix 1998

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more