A Conversation for Classic Sporting Moments

Calcutta Cup, 2000

Post 1

Munchkin

It was the final game of the 2000 Six Nations Rugby competition and Scotland, defending champions, were, to put it mildly, a pile of dingos kidneys. They had not one a single game all season. And now it was the final match, against England. Scotland had not beaten England in ten years, since 1990, when they snatched a Grand Slam from the English by beating them at Murrayfield on he last day.
So, ten years since their last win over England and this did not look like the year. The game started badly, Scotland struggling to hold on as the English slowly ground them down. England got a text book try. Scotland were happy to make in to the break still in touch. And then the heavens opened. It p'ed it down. The second half saw the English try to play the same quick moving game they had used in the first half. But it was too wet. And they didn't change their tactics. The Scots began to sense that something could happen, and then they sneaked the all important try, snuck into the lead and then held on grimly. I found myself watching the last ten minutes on my knees chewing a bean bag in desperation. And then the final whistle, Andy Nicol went up to get the Calcutta Cup, the English stormed off to their dressing room and did not collect the Six Nations Trophy (which they had one fair and square) and I got blootered.
It happens so rarely you have to make the most of it. smiley - smiley


Calcutta Cup, 2000

Post 2

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

That too ... smiley - cheers


Calcutta Cup, 2000

Post 3

aliashell

...and in 1999 when Wales beat the English to hand the Five Nations trophy to Scotland.


Calcutta Cup, 2000

Post 4

Munchkin

I hugged a Welshman that night smiley - biggrin


Calcutta Cup, 2000

Post 5

Sam

When Jenkins put that ball over with the last kick of the game I collected £100-odd quid having bet on Scotland to win the Championships the month before. Oh joy of joys smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more