A Conversation for Wisdom Tooth Removal - a Personal Perspective

Anaesthetic

Post 1

Jeny (Professor of Cheesology, Apostrophe Executive)

I wasn't given a choice when I had my wisdom teeth out - my dentist insisted on sending me for a general anaesthetic. I thought it was just going to be one tooth, but they decided to take the rest while they were there to save having to do it at a later date!

The worst bit was having the mask thing over my face to start with. I can honestly say though that the experience was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, probably because I slept through it.
I didn't feel a thing and even afterwards was able to keep the pain in check with regular ibuprofen for a couple of days.

If you're given a choice, I recommend a general. Most people that I know that have had a local anaesthetic have had a much worse time of it than I did.


Anaesthetic

Post 2

Geoff Taylor - Gullible Chump

I had general. Extremely glad that I did, having read this article.

I wonder if the surgeons are a little rougher when operating if the patient is asleep. For about a week after my op I had bruises all across my chest, and I'm guessing that someone was kneeling on me to get better leverage.

Also, what's not been mentioned is the fact that victims spend much of the following month looking like hamsters, with swollen cheeks that become a fetching shade of yellow as the bruises fade.


Anaesthetic

Post 3

Jeny (Professor of Cheesology, Apostrophe Executive)

Either I'm an aberration or extremely lucky then, judging by what people have been saying. I had virtually no bruising or swelling, even the stitches came out fine with no problems. Not that I'm complaining! smiley - biggrin


Anaesthetic

Post 4

Lady in a tree

I had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth out under general. I looked like I had done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson afterwards. My neck and face were so bruised (purple changing to green then yellow - very pretty I dont think!)

The one thing I really remember is coming round from the anaesthetic and crying - nay sobbing - my heart out. I scared myself!! I was so sad and I didn't know why. I can still recall that sadness now - 10 years on - it was so intense.

There is a part of my cheek that is numb/dead cos they severed a nerve during the op - but I'm not that bothered by it. At least I don't have to go through the pain of my wisdom teeth coming through.

must stop talking about teeth now...


Anaesthetic

Post 5

Geoff Taylor - Gullible Chump

Severed Nerve? Luxury! We used to dream of severed nerves.

The worst thing I remember is fighting for breath when I came round. My mouth was bleeding from the operation, and my nose was bleeding because of the tube that had been inserted. I thrashed about so much that they kept me in hospital another night for observation.

But if you tell the young people about it, they just won't believe you...

smiley - cheers


Anaesthetic

Post 6

Kaz

Wow, theres some terrible stories out there!

I had some great bruising too. Also quite a few people have told me, that surgeons are gentler when you are under a local.


Anaesthetic

Post 7

Tigger_juggler

I also recommend having it done under general if possible. I personally had no problems with it, and woke up quickly.

The one humorous side to the group is that I remembered the last thing I said before I went under and what I said when I came to. Usually that doesn't happen, but for some reason, both time's I've been put under, I remember both before and after.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more