A Conversation for Private Goodwin's War - A Personal Account of World War Two

Researching Herefordshire Regiment veterans

Post 1

Baba_Andrew

My grandfather also joined-up with 2nd Battalion, the Herefordshire Regiment, at the beginning of war. Initially, he was a Corporal, but later reverted to the rank of Private "at his own request". He stayed with 2nd Herefords until he volunteered for the Glider Pilot Regiment in the Autumn of 1942.

Fortunately, he missed the Sicily Operation - which was rather a fiasco from the Glider Pilot Regt's point of view - so would not have bumped into your father at Primasole Bridge.

I am now researching his service career. Have even found a little information about Reg Goodwin - apparently he was also a Corporal (w.e.f. 1 June 1942) with 2nd Herefords, so must have also reverted to the rank of Private at some stage? Would be great to 'connect', to compare notes; particularly as not so much research seems to have been done regarding the 2nd Herefords.


Key: Complain about this post

Researching Herefordshire Regiment veterans

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more