A Conversation for Alcoholic Ginger Beer

Bottle Pressure

Post 1

Justin

Hi all,

I followed this recipe to the letter, and bottled my first batch 3 days ago. I used 2litre cider bottles, filled them with 1.75 litres (7/8 full), squeezed the air out, and tightened on the caps.

Now, 3 days later, the bottles have expanded, are rock hard, and there is a layer of gas above the liquid. My question is....is this normal? Does it require the pressure to force the gas to be dissolved in the liquid? Are they going to explode imminently?

I don't really want to clean up 6 litres of sticky ginger beer! smiley - erm


Bottle Pressure

Post 2

Vip

It is normal for lots of gas to be produced when making this sort of stuff, but if you're unsure your containers can cope with the pressure, I would let it off very slowly (preferably outside, just in case!).

Unfortunately the original author isn't around the site much any more so they can't offer their opinion, sorry. smiley - sadface

I do hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted on how it goes - I was actually thinking of making some ginger beer this morning as I was shopping in the supermarket. I can't bring myself to buy any, but making it myself had real appeal!

smiley - fairy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more