A Conversation for Amateur Lumberjacking

amateur lumberjacking

Post 1

denqui-otee

We have a litle different perspective here where I live: Far Northern California, back in the woods. And of course I have a different view than most people here. But everybody wants to stay warm in the winter and nobody wants to die in the process. And there are other issues.
We're blessed (?) by having more dead wood around than we can deal with. It really should come out of the woods to reduce the fuels when (not if) the next wildfire comes through. Some people go for the great firewood (oak and madrone) and some people go for whatever needs to come out. My philosophy is to burn whatever needs to come out, so I burn a lot of pine. I have to get up a couple times through the night anyway for aqe related reasons that aren't relevant to this discussion so then I throw another log on the fire. I have to clean my chimney more often. I leave standing dead oak trees for emergency stash for when I run out of crap wood and it's rainy outside and snowy. Standing dead isn't very wet.
It's also good to burn your crap wood first so when you look at your pile your looking at gold, not copper, if you get my drift.
A VERY IMPORTANT HINT: If you're going to run a chainsaw, you should invest $60 or so in chaps (I'm assuming you have a hard hat with eye and ear protection). They make the difference between a stupid mistake being a learning experience and a life altering event.
A GOOD IDEA: get in the habit of checking your bar oil first before you check your fuel. If you fill your fuel and space out the bar oil, you're buying a new bar and chain. You won't hurt your saw much by running it without any fuel.
PS: Lumberjacking relates to lumber ie boards. There are relatively inexpensive ways to turn wood into boards.
PPS: I could and have gone on for hours about these kind of issues if anybody's interested.


Key: Complain about this post

amateur lumberjacking

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more