A Conversation for Scotch Whisky

Welsh Whiskies

Post 1

MrDavidH

I beleive there is now a Welsh distillery so the entry on Welsh Whiskies probably needs updating.

See http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/distilling.asp


Welsh Whiskies

Post 2

Whisky

Ohh! Interesting. Sounds like the stuff will still be a little young yet - selling stuff off at four years old is generally just for novelty value and to generate some funds for the distillery - I'll probably wait a couple of years before I buy anything - but it should be worth trying at least smiley - cheers


Welsh Whiskies

Post 3

MrDavidH

That was my thought too.

What is perhaps worrying is that by launching stuff so early it is not likely to be very good, and if that damages their reputation they may never recover enough to become a financially viable business.

I'll certainly try their product when they launch it in a slightly older form.


Welsh Whiskies

Post 4

Whisky

I seem to remember the Isle of Arran distillery did something similar a few years back (they opened in 1995 and started by selling a four year old).

Didn't seem to do them much harm - and frankly, the sort of people who are likely to buy whisky like that (which is bottled in fairly small quantities anyway) are either collectors looking for a rarity or curious 'experts' who are usually knowledgeable enough to know what they're getting is far too young and just gives an impression of what the 'real' stuff might be like later on.

You don't get that many complete novices buying that sort of stuff in my experience, so it shouldn't do them too much harm.


Welsh Whiskies

Post 5

MrDavidH

I've bought a small (5cl) bottle of the Penderyn. Once I've tasted it I will update you on what it is like (probably not as good as the small bottling 18 year Caol Ila I bought at the same time, but you wouldn't expect it to be?)


Welsh Whiskies

Post 6

Whisky

smiley - biggrin Now that's not fair... Trying to compare it against an 18yo Islay!




Welsh Whiskies

Post 7

MrDavidH

I think this Whisky has promise. Obviously being a rather young spirit it was fairly simple and clean in taste but seemed to resemble one of the lighter lowland malts.

I suspect that once it has had time to mature and they start releasing "proper" vintages it will be a rather good whisky.


Welsh Whiskies

Post 8

Whisky

smiley - blush
Sorry, lost track of this conversation...

Must admit, most lowland malts are _too_ light for my particular taste. But I'll certainly be keeping an eye open for the stuff from now on... I can't _not_ taste it smiley - winkeye


Welsh Whiskies

Post 9

Norton II

I had some of the snide Welsh whisky ten years ago, Swn y Mor (Sound of the Sea). My friends and I all agreed it tasted a lot like Scotch. Later, of course, we found out it was Scotch! Will ook forward to tasting the new stuff all the same.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more