A Conversation for 'Antiques Roadshow' - the TV Series

Good 'eve!

Post 1

FairlyStrange

I must admit, I love this show....both BBC and PBS.

Actually, the PBS version now comes on one of the cable networks.(though I can't, at the moment, remember which!)

I don't know which I like better...the British or American versions.

"Ground Force" and "Trading Spaces", on the other hand...I'll take Britains' side on that!smiley - winkeye

NM


Good 'eve!

Post 2

FG

Just so long as you're not still watching "Are You Being Served?" or "Yes, Prime Minister". ;-P Talk about being condemned to PBS syndication hell...


Good 'eve!

Post 3

FairlyStrange

I enjoyed "Are You Being Served" until they bought the hotel.....it never did feel right. It put them all on the same level in the "pecking order". That was the main thing that made it funny.

The only "Britcom" on PBS I still truly enjoy is "Red Dwarf"....but, alas, it only comes on at 11:30 on Saturday night. Thats' WAAAYY past my bedtime!smiley - sadface

We get BBC America here in Gardendale, but they enjoy showing mini-series' more than comedy...and I HATE mini-series!smiley - tongueout

They save themselves with "Ground Force, "Changing Rooms" and, of course, the subject of this wonderful Article; "Antiques Roadshow".smiley - smiley

NM


Good 'eve!

Post 4

FG

They bought a hotel? Damn! They've never shown those episodes on PBS around these here parts! For the record, I like "Served" initially, but that was before I saw every episode (well, those aired here anyway) umpteen times hoping for something new. Unlike Monty Python, naughty panty jokes and sly homosexual references grow stale after awhile. When I was a child, Benny Hill was on a lot--my father was a big fan. I grew rapidly tired of dirty old men groping young birds. I preferred those nights when we watched "The Rockford Files" or "This Old House" together (and, since we're discussing public television "The Frugal Gourmet"--do you think he molested that kid?--and "The French Chef").


Good 'eve!

Post 5

FairlyStrange

First point.....yeah, the whole crew bought a hotel(actually, I think its' a B&B). That put the maintenence guy on the same level as the big boss.(actually higher since the only one who could keep the place together was the maintenence guy) (sorry...haven't watched in a while...for some reason the only names I can remember are Captain Peacock and young Mr. Grace!smiley - sadface) Don't worry, IMHO you haven't missed much.

As far as my hero, Mr. Jeff Smith(The Frugal Gourmet)...there is no way in...well...hes' guilty of that! I used to have ALL of his cookbooks(lost a couple in movessmiley - sadface)...WONDERFUL recipies, and in all the years I've watched and read him.....no sign that he would be capable of such.

Can you tell I might be a bit biased!?LOL

NM


Good 'eve!

Post 6

FG

That's just what I think!!! I mean, I know the stereotype of a molestor (furtive, smelly trench-coat wearing dirty old man) is false, but I have never gotten the feeling watching him all these years that he could even be capable of such an awful thing. He's a great guy! Really! What makes me suspicious of the allegation is that the kid (well, now an adult) dropped everything once he got the money. Now, I've never been in this situation (thank goodness!), but I would like to think that if I finally was able to gather the courage to face my molestor and have him brought before the legal system I would see the process through and justice served rather than back down once monetary compensation appears.

I have two of his cookbooks. Frugal Gourmet Cooks Chinese, Italian, and Greek, and the original F. G. from the series. Maybe this is naive, but anyone who can cook like that can't be evil!!!! smiley - sadface

Nope, no bias here! smiley - biggrin


Good 'eve!

Post 7

FairlyStrange

LOL! Yep...we needed to be character witnesses!

Check out the "Three Ancient Cuisines" cookbook....There is an Italian bread recipe that makes a pizza crust "to DIE for"! Can't remember what it's called, I'll have to look it up.....but you MUST give it a try!

Must be off for a bit...its' "prisoner exchange" week. To Huntsville and back in 2 hours. Its' a once a month routine that strikes terror in the hearts step parents everywhere!!!smiley - winkeye

Back soon...

NM


Good 'eve!

Post 8

FG

That's the one I have! Darn it, I knew the title I typed wasn't right....

Next time someone accuses a beloved chef we should hire our services out as character witnesses. I'll keep my eyes peeled for scandals involving Julia Child (LOVE HER!), Father Dominic (have you seen "Breaking Bread"??? It's fabulous!!! A cooking show starring a Dominican monk!!!), and James Beard (his macaroni-and-cheese is TO DIE FOR!!!). Oh wait. He's dead. smiley - tongueout

Anyway, you watch out for the Fat Ladies and all of the Iron Chefs. They're so loopy, they could be accused of anything!


Good 'eve!

Post 9

FairlyStrange

One of the saddest days this summer, for me, was hearing the news that Justin Wilson passed.smiley - sadface

They'll never be another like him!smiley - smiley

NM


Good 'eve!

Post 10

FG

I gar-RON-tee it! smiley - tongueout


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'Antiques Roadshow' - the TV Series

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more