The Turfcutters Arms, East Boldre, New Forest, Hampshire, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Turfcutters Arms, East Boldre, New Forest, Hampshire, UK

1 Conversation

The Turfcutters Arms is a traditional pub situated on East Boldre High Street in the New Forest in Hampshire, England. Finding the place can be a little hairy as it is in the real backwaters of the New Forest about 5 miles south of Beaulieu, but this pub has the distinction of being individually highlighted on the South Hampshire road atlas, so if you get a map it's not so hard. The pub is quite famous locally as it has some of the most outstanding food in the area - it's very reasonably priced too. Most pubs in the New Forest rely on good food for trade, so this is no mean feat.

The pub is only a short drive from Southampton or Bournemouth, so whether you have spent the day sampling the delights of these cities or walking through the beautiful countryside of the New Forest, it makes an ideal place to stop off for some lunch. Be aware though that the pub is popular, so it is highly recommended that you book a table in advance.

Nearby attractions are the so-called deserted village of Bucklers Hard1 and the Beaulieu motor museum - one of the prime tourist attractions in the New Forest. You should not expect to walk to East Boldre, and public transport to the place is almost non-existent, so either drive or get the train to Brockenhurst (around 10 miles distant) and cycle. It is in a beautiful location, and owing to the local land rights you will probably see a few cows and horses wandering around the streets. (One Researcher on their first visit had to park next to a cow in the pub's car park.)

The Pub

The name of the pub comes from the ancient right of Turbary in the New Forest, which was, in essence, the right belonging to the chimney and hearth of a property to cut a certain amount of turf for use as fuel in that hearth alone. (This is the sort of quaint old law that bemuses most people today as to why it still exists.) The pub still retains a collection of turfing irons, hence its name.

The pub has been described as beautifully chaotic. Do not expect a well turned out, carpeted, and beautifully clean place like many chain pubs in the UK today. It is much more in the realms of the traditional spit and sawdust pub and has many little nooks and crannies to sit down in. It also has a rather large beer garden which should be taken advantage of, weather permitting. You can see that the bar staff and landlord have a full, satisfying lives, as there is a large collection of photographs on a board behind the bar of them engaged in general revelry. The selection of ales is rather small but is well looked after, and you are guaranteed a fine pint of good real ale if that's your tipple; the pub also serves the Gales country wine range and has a good selection of single malt whiskies.

The Food

The first thing to say about the food here is that it's probably not for you if you are a vegetarian. There are only two real vegetarian choices on the menu. One is a vegetarian chilli that will blow your socks off and the other is deep fried brie in a filo pastry wrapping - this dish is admittedly very nice indeed.

If you are carnivorous though, then this pub's food is the stuff of dreams. The most popular choice is the Hobbler Hock which is a hock of pork that is enough to feed about four people. You get it to yourself. It is excellently cooked with fine gravy and as many vegetables as they can also fit on the plate (sometimes not many as this is a large joint). Next most popular is a half shoulder of lamb - this is again an enormous portion of meat that only the most ravenous individuals will be capable of finishing. Possibly the nicest meat dish on offer is the Sodbasher, which is a fillet steak, cooked to your specification, topped with paté, and served in a filo pastry wrapping. This dish is excellent and is served with a wonderful selection of vegetables.

If you can still eat anything after the gargantuan stuffing of the main course at the Turfcutters, then there is the pudding selection for afters. It is highly recommended that you leave room for pudding as they serve quite simply some of the most wonderful you will ever encounter. They are all homemade and include the obligatory chocolate fudge cake, banoffee pie, treacle pudding and mixed fruit crumble. These may be eaten with cream, ice cream or custard, and if this doesn't sound too amazing, that is because their delight defies description. Try one; it's a must.

After Your Meal

Bear in mind the behaviour of lions after a kill, having consumed almost their own bodyweight in meat. They sleep all day. This may be your fate after a meal at the Turfcutters. It is therefore a good move to go for a good stiff walk or a cycle ride to work your meal off. Bearing in mind that the local countryside is marvelous and unpolluted, this is no real hardship and you will end having had a nice fulfilling day.

The Hobbler

The people that own and run the Turfcutters are butchers by trade and they also run a sister pub to the Turfcutters elsewhere in the New Forest. This pub is called The Hobbler and is situated in Battramsley, Lymington. Being run by the same people, this is clearly also worth eating at, and this pub will also sometimes sell the hock and lamb joints that are so popular on their menu so that you can take them home and cook them yourself.

1'So-called' because it has a rather thriving pub and there are in fact people who live there. It was a village where ships were once built but was abandoned when this industry came to an end in the area and now exists as a sort of living museum. It is well worth a visit.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A599835

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more